For Crab,Hankotsu, honesuki, Kanisaki deba, scissors?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckhand

Reaction score
Absolutely love my King Crab dinners at home. We have the forks and crab crackers, but there must be a better way. I don't even know what they use in restaurants to cut the crab legs. Any recommendation for the best way.Hankotsu,honesuki,Kanisaki deba, scissors like tojiro stainless:eek2: Thanks in advance.

a nice sharp gyuto or deba is what i use (sometimes a combo of the two)[/QUOTE
Thanks Jon,
I have a misono ux10 gyuto. Is it up to the task? Certainly don't mind using it just don't want to wreck the blade if something heavier is needed. Thanks for your advice and your consistent helpfulness Dave ( boardsmith) was right in recommending you to me when I bought my board. I will definitely have to throw some business your way.

Thanks for the comments so far. I just know there is a lot of experience with knives and professonal cooks on these boards to help with my conundrum.:biggrin:

a nice sharp gyuto or deba is what i use (sometimes a combo of the two)[/QUOTE
Thanks Jon,
I have a misono ux10 gyuto. Is it up to the task? Certainly don't mind using it just don't want to wreck the blade if something heavier is needed. Thanks for your advice and your consistent helpfulness Dave ( boardsmith) was right in recommending you to me when I bought my board. I will definitely have to throw some business your way.

UX10 will work just find for this kind of technique (deba and gyuto combo is better though... some tasks require deab and others gyuto)

resized_IMG_0199.JPG

resized_IMG_0200.JPG

resized_IMG_0201.JPG

sheet metal sheers f/ hardware store

Hmm.. I may have to get a deba, sheet metal shears, and scissors then report back. I guess I will have to eat a lot of king crab. :hungry:

The lady on Expert Kitchen on you tube shows how to do crab legs!:whistling:

Remember this one?
[video=youtube;QPmX6--TgTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmX6--TgTc&feature=player_embedded[/video]
I wouldn't do that with my knife but this guy seems pretty pro here.

I had not seen that one before. It may only be a snow vs a King, but that still has to add some wear to a blade edge.

Remember this one?
[video=youtube;QPmX6--TgTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmX6--TgTc&feature=player_embedded[/video]
I wouldn't do that with my knife but this guy seems pretty pro here.
Saw this one before. Crab with a honesuki. This guy is awesome. Definitely not his first try.:biggrin:

Forget the knife--that guy looks like he could drive nails with his thumbs. Ow!

The lady on Expert Kitchen on you tube shows how to do crab legs!:whistling:

Lol my favorite is crab cutting by inventorbobs on you tube. Guess from watching that I should add a sawzall to the list. Just duct tape my crab to the cutting board and sawzall it. :eek2:

I was thinking that the cut scenes were for him to hit the stones real quick.

Isn't there a big difference between king crab and snow crab? IIRC, king crab has a really thick shell that needs to be cracked open, where snow crab can be ripped lengthwise with a dinner fork.

Scissors for both; small wooden mallet for King is fun (if you're outside); Dungeness is even better!

Scissors for both; small wooden mallet for King is fun (if you're outside); Dungeness is even better!
Thanks.
It's sunny most of the time here. I will try the mallet for fun on my picnic table, or the next time I eat at Ivar's salmon house. Love that place.

Isn't there a big difference between king crab and snow crab? IIRC, king crab has a really thick shell that needs to be cracked open, where snow crab can be ripped lengthwise with a dinner fork.

I can do the ripped along the shell with my heavy seafood fork on king crab. Dinner forks bend tines on king crab, at least I have. It's kind of a rocking motion, but would prefer a better method. I think Jon's deba and gyuto is definitely worth a try. May have to buy the book, but looks like deba for the thick joints and claws and gyuto on the legs.

Deckhand: Next time you're heading to Seattle, let me know and I'll send you some info on new seafood restaurants in the area.

All the photos and video were snow crab, Rick is correct, growing up on the east coast, we would slip a tine of a dinner fork in through a joint on the soft side of the leg, and open it like a zipper. Smaller King's can be done like this as well. but the bigger ones need to be seperated at the joints and cracked in the middle. Plyers or a hammer worked well to crack them, then bend 'em back and forth, and pull apart. With practise the meat would come out in one long piece. Ones this size, sissors are useless. A stout deaba, sure, never tried shears.
KingCrab.jpg

All the photos and video were snow crab, Rick is correct, growing up on the east coast, we would slip a tine of a dinner fork in through a joint on the soft side of the leg, and open it like a zipper. Smaller King's can be done like this as well. but the bigger ones need to be seperated at the joints and cracked in the middle. Plyers or a hammer worked well to crack them, then bend 'em back and forth, and pull apart. With practise the meat would come out in one long piece. Ones this size, sissors are useless. A stout deaba, sure, never tried shears.
View attachment 4395

Thanks for your comments. Your work is amazing. Wow I love the sujihiki you made with the blue mammoth. Can't see your pictures on your website with an iPad but fortunately can on this site. Just incredible.

Bought a Kanasaki deba from Bishamon. Had King crab, corn on the cob, and red potatoes last night. Wow! Where has this knife been all my life!:thanx: I think if someone wants one Jon at JKI could probably special order, and he is a really nice guy! Anyway totally found my King crab solution. Just thought I would let people know.

Bought a Kanasaki deba from Bishamon. Had King crab, corn on the cob, and red potatoes last night. Wow! Where has this knife been all my life!:thanx: I think if someone wants one Jon at JKI could probably special order, and he is a really nice guy! Anyway totally found my King crab solution. Just thought I would let people know.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!! :nono: :lol2:

Back