Hi! From Portland Maine- the culinary Mecca of the North East:)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi to all you other knife-knuts. I've been observing this forum as well as Knifeforums 'In the Kitchen' forum for awhile, and I thought it was time to take part once in awhile. I'm currently the newly christened Sous-Chef at Local 188 Restaurant, in Portland Maine. I'm lucky to be surrounded by a crew of fun, creative, and truly talented people. As well as a thriving local food community. We have some truly amazing, and stellar eateries in this little town, multiple James Beard winners and nominees. It's really a wonderful time to be a chef, not only here in Portland, but across America. Particularly in regards to the amazing steel available to us ply our trade with now days:thumbsup: I look forward to sharing my addiction with you fellow addicts:spiteful:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Knut House, Brain, from the other Portland!

Welcome! Spent a summer in Westbrook and caught striped bass at old orchard beach. Gotta love a place where even McDonald's serves lobster. :biggrin:

Welcome!

Hope you'll share some pictures of your collection. Impressive.

Thanks Johnny! I feel a little light in the knife bag compared to your set up :biggrin: I'd love to post some pics, but I'm using a iPhone 4s as both my only camera/sole means to interact with the interwebs... I'm a little ignorant in this regard- but can I download pics straight from my phone somehow? Or do I have to use a hosting site? And if so- is there any you'd reccomend?

Picassa works well for me. Free and simple to use.

Of course, you know that James Beard was from Portland, Oregon!

I actually didn't know that... Dammit! Someday we'll be known as something besides 'the other Portland' or 'the place where Lobsters come from' or 'the city that Bourdain completely neglected on No Reservations' :razz:

Spike beat me to it. My father knows next to nothing about computers and he uses Picasa frequently. You'll figure it out.

As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.

I actually didn't know that... Dammit! Someday we'll be known as something besides 'the other Portland' or 'the place where Lobsters come from' or 'the city that Bourdain completely neglected on No Reservations' :razz:
Sorry no offense intended. Wish California had better seafood i.e. maine lobster, crab cakes, etc.

As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.[/QUOTE]
whatcha got? i'll trade you for some pro restuarant skills.:spiteful::angel2:

Spike beat me to it. My father knows next to nothing about computers and he uses Picasa frequently. You'll figure it out.

As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.
I've been poking around here for a bit, and this seems like a fun, good natured, helpful bunch. I've frequented some other non-knife forums that were anything but enjoyable.
The greatest thing about playing with food IMO- is there is always something new to learn. Be it a new flavor combo, playing with textural contrasts, discovering old/new techniques, or just refining your julienne. As long as you never stop learning, you'll never grow bored. Which changes your job into a passion, which in turn makes life in the kitchen pretty awesome:)

whatcha got? i'll trade you for some pro restuarant skills.:spiteful::angel2:

If you were not on the wrong coast, I might take you up on the offer. How about my Sab paring knife for an hour long knife skills or sharpening lesson? ;)

I took a 12-week series of "basic" cooking classes at Viking years ago (I was less serious about cooking then than I am now) and enjoyed it, but think it would be fun to have a few private or semi-private lessons with a pro.

Sorry no offense intended. Wish California had better seafood i.e. maine lobster, crab cakes, etc.

Absolutely none taken. I wasn't pointing any fingers by any means. Just poking fun at our little town's big ego more than anything else:)

If you were not on the wrong coast, I might take you up on the offer. How about my Sab paring knife for an hour long knife skills or sharpening lesson? ;)

I took a 12-week series of "basic" cooking classes at Viking years ago (I was less serious about cooking then than I am now) and enjoyed it, but think it would be fun to have a few private or semi-private lessons with a pro.

I could teach you how to swear and drink, all the pros I know excel at that;)

I would do it for free, but I'm not good at sharpening anymore, hands don't work right. lol never get rid of the sabatier paring knife good ones are hard to find.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find you will be right at home here!

Welcome! Good to have more Chefs I can visit when I inevitably vacation in the Pacific Northwest.

Back