Japanese Natural Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mint427

Reaction score
I have visited several site vendors and saw that J. natural stones are offered for sale. Some are pretty expensive and look great. Do folks sharpen/finish German SS knives using these stones? Are they reserved for carbon knives only? I'm using Beston now which seems to work great -- my wife wants to buy me a stone :)

I wouldn't particularly recommend a Jnat for SS. Also I don't think Jnats are something everyone should own, since they are quite expensive and also finicky on which steel and on technique too. I do find however that carbon steels like white and blue react better to most Jnat's but in my opinion nothing that's really needed in most cases.

Jnats certainly work just fine on Stainless, if you have the funds and want to experience a Jnat by any means go for it.

I agree with mainaman. J-nats are excellent for almost everything. But, with that said, I have not had the greatest success using J-nats on VG-10 or ZDP (could just be the PITA steel though). Everything else has worked magnificently.
I would also add that I have seen my best results on wide beveled knives (in my case clad carbon), where I can coax out each stones properties, and make them really shine.

I have used several Jnats on several stainless knives and the edges are no where as good as using an artificial stone. Maybe you are just better at sharpening than I am so is there something special that you do to your stones or something. I would not recommend Jnats on stainless steels at least the ones used in:
suisin inox honyaki, Hattori FH knives, A Type knives and VG-10.

I have never had a problem with VG-10, I have honed many razors w/e the stainless steel they use, I am sure it depends on the stones used too.

Oh... Not razors...Those are a completely different story...:). I was speaking strictly for the mostly softer stones (lv 4 max, as a finisher), I use to sharpen my kitchen knives. I just find with those particular softer stones, that I abrade away much more stone than I would like to in the process. Thats just me being stingy with my expensive stones (haha). However, it does eventually put a great edge on for me.

Razors on the other hand. Regardless of steel type, I have not found anything that I like better for a straight razor than a good quality Lv5+ Jnat.

But, I agree, I think it heavily depends on the stones used...probably as well as the technique.

BTW...If your wife wants to buy you a stone..You are a lucky man!! Definitely take her up on it.:)

I know, I have used my stones on knives too, but the point is if one can get a razor sharp enough on a Jnat then one can get an edge on a knife too, provided the correct stone is used.

I have visited several site vendors and saw that J. natural stones are offered for sale. Some are pretty expensive and look great. Do folks sharpen/finish German SS knives using these stones? Are they reserved for carbon knives only? I'm using Beston now which seems to work great -- my wife wants to buy me a stone :)

You have just one stone right now? A Beston 500? What knives do you have, just german stainless, or some others too?

If all I had were german knives and a Beston 500, I would definitely NOT get a jnat. You could get a synthetic finishing stone AND a new knife for the price of most jnats, plus I doubt a german stainless knife would be able to make use of the benefits of a natural stone.

+1 on that

You have just one stone right now? A Beston 500? What knives do you have, just german stainless, or some others too?

If all I had were german knives and a Beston 500, I would definitely NOT get a jnat. You could get a synthetic finishing stone AND a new knife for the price of most jnats, plus I doubt a german stainless knife would be able to make use of the benefits of a natural stone.

Just thinking of the german steel; I'm getting some Japanese knives soon, so I think I'll follow the advice that I've seen here. The 500, 1200, & 5000 synthetics should handle it all wouldn't you think? BTW, hearing from you guys really helps the new guys...thanks!

Back