I love cooking, but need help getting a nice knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinola

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Looking for either a gyuto or a nakiri

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? I have a chef's knife that I'd like (victorinox - $30 ones) to keep, but now I'm exploring specialized knives for different jobs. So, I was looking at a nakiri at first, but learned that gyuto are thin as well, so I'm deciding between the two.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Damascus are awesome, but I'm not limited to that kind of steel
Edge Quality/Retention- Would like something that lasts at least two months. (I live in an on campus apartment, so space is limited, so sharpening at home)
Ease of Use- I baby even my $30 knife, so it doesn't matter if it's hard to
Comfort-

What grip do you use? Pinch all the way.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Depending on the item I'm cutting, I usually do push, chop, or slice. But I am glad to learn to get used to other motions.

Where do you store them? My knife is in the drawer of the kitchen, but my new knife is staying in my room.

Have you ever oiled a handle? Nope, but like i said earlier, I baby things I own.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Plastic for now, but upgrading later on.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? A steel honing rod, but getting a ceramic later.

Have they ever been sharpened? My current knife was never sharpened, but I want to sharpen at home.

What is your budget? $0-$200

What do you cook and how often? Filipino dishes (considering I'm filipino). A lot of brunoise vegetables. I can use my current chef's knife cutting through chicken joints. I cook everyday and typically use my knife everyday as well.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Japanese knives are preferred. No made in China.

I'm already learned a lot of stuff through this forums! I'm glad I signed up. I'm gonna enjoy my stay here. Also, I have small hands, not sure if that matters or anything.

Fujiwara FKM series is always a solid choice for your first Japanese knife. They can be ordered through JCK. I would say grabbing yourself a couple waterstones so you can sharpen at home wouldn't be a bad idea either. The Beston 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k are usually suggested as a great value for a starting set.

The Spyderco sharpmaker is a good sharpening system if you don't have the space, want it mobile or fast and easy.

Back