Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food photography

Food photography

Does anybody have some good tips how to make decent food pictures apart from good light, and a good camera?

I have a couple of basic tips and some example Pics here.

Very informative read and beautifule photos.

Man that pizza looks awesome, i have become hungry just by looking at it

The trick is to fill the frame with your food and have plenty of light and/or add lighting. And pick an angle that accentuates the food, too often people shoot flat down making it appear flat and uninteresting

Ther are a few examples on my flickr page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhardwick/

Outstanding My daughter and I have been taking pics of food lately and I must say that she is getting way ahead of me in her ability to snag a great shot, I tend to only take a couple pics, she just goes nuts with different angles and if time permits she starts messing with the settings to see what happens I love watching her get pulled in at times (proud papa)

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Outstanding My daughter and I have been taking pics of food lately and I must say that she is getting way ahead of me in her ability to snag a great shot, I tend to only take a couple pics, she just goes nuts with different angles and if time permits she starts messing with the settings to see what happens I love watching her get pulled in at times (proud papa)
    I have noticed a lot of nice food pics from you lately

Thanks for the tips. I am interested in doing some nice photos as well. I have a canon g12 and don't know much about how to use it.

I am thinking of picking up one of these light tents: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/40cm-ph...ths-white-5224

Good idea or not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I am interested in doing some nice photos as well. I have a canon g12 and don't know much about how to use it.

I am thinking of picking up one of these light tents: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/40cm-ph...ths-white-5224

Good idea or not worth it?
    The g12 is a nice camera, I think canon has some tutorials on their site on how to use their camera settings. I would check them out or look over the manual to get to know your camera better for things like white balance.

The tent you linked too looked a little small to me, more the size for pictures of jewelry, I would go a couple of sizes larger for knives/food. A big window with a curtain might give you the same diffused effect.

Thanks guys, it look i have a lot to learn about photography. I did some reading on the internet and there was a lot of therminology i did not understand (sepousure, f-number, etc..) and it felt like the first time i start to read about knifes( tang, bolster,...) W t f . But its fun to learn something new. Unfortunately now i dont have the money to afford a DSLR or even n better compact camera(i'm a student) , so i will try with what i have and start experimenting with light and angles of view.

I made a light box out of a cardboard box, I cut bug square holes in the sides and taped white paper over the holes, then set a portable clamp light against the paper. Then I shot this with a Canon SD500:

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig