Hello Folks!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenSwerid

Reaction score
Just stopping by to introduce myself! My name is Darren Swerid and I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been interested in knife making on and off since I was in high school. My dad was the first person to get me interested in knife making. I started my first knive using a hacksaw and a file. I managed to get the knife down to full profile and heat treatment but never finished it. Lost interest I guess.

In my college days I was working for a land surveying company during the summers and this is where I met Pierre Rodrigue. He re-sparked my interest in knife making when he showed me his knive grinder. I saved up some money and took a knive making course from a friend of his, Brian. I learnt a lot in that weekend course and finished my first drop-point with leather sheath. I used that knife every day at work and still carry it with me while in the bush.

After finishing Brian's course I lost interest again, not because I didn't want to make knives, but because I was having difficulties with school and then when I graduated real life hit me. No cash, living with family, lots of big trips, another expensive hobby (SCUBA diving) took control or me, built a new home with my fiancee, and now the upcoming wedding. It's been a busy few years.

Now things are starting to settle down and my interest in knive making is returning. The only thing that is holding me back is i don't have a warm place to work in the winter months as I have yet to build a garage. But I have a few ideas I would like to try out and this summer I can work in the backyard and try and get a few knife projects finally completed.

The reason I joined this forum is because of Pierre Rodrigue. I have checked his website from time to time and I am amazed at the products he puts out! If I could make anything close to what he can make I would be a lucky man!

So in the near future I may be coming by for any tips or tricks you folks may have! Thanks for taking the time to read my little introduction! :newhere:

HA! Hi Darren, welcome to the zoo! Glad you found your way! If I remember right, Darren also has a love for food! He should fit in well here!

Welcome to the Knut House! There are a lot of cut ups here, fer sure!

Thanks guys! Yup I do love food! But as of today I am trying a weight loss program to try and lose a few pounds before my wedding in September. My father lost 50 lbs on the program and my mother lost 35 to 40 lbs. So things are looking good for me.

But I will be making Pierre's Cinnamon bun recipe once I am off of it! :cheffry:

Welcome to the forum, I can't imagine a better source of information.

Hax CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

SOooo, you have money, but it's earmarked for other things, you love food, but are needing to diet, and are interested in knifemaking because of Pierre's work...

...I think we should all just apologize now.

Instead, I'll just say :ntmy:

LOL I have money? No. Got a wedding in September that is keeping my wallet empty. Then a family trip to Hawaii next Feburary. Still gotta save for that.

The weight loss needed. Need to look good for the wedding and the trip to Hawaii atfer all! But after all is said and done being healthly is what it's about right? If you don't have your health you don't have anything. :)

I am looking forward to finishing my next knife project and getting your folks opinions! You all seem like a good group of people. :D

Latest posts

Back