• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Carter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a funayuki on Carter's site, but I figured I'd see if anyone here has something available. I want to see what the hype is about; just figured I'd see if anyone has one available before I buy new.

Which one are you getting? I just picked up a 4.6 Sun HG and love it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have a 6.0 sun funayuki and love it!

She just needs a new dress!

I've always found it interesting, if not puzzling, that when someone mentions buying a gyuto smaller than 240, everyone tries to talk them out of it...but when it's a Carter, measured in "sun"....a smaller knife is A OK. ;-)

I've always found it interesting, if not puzzling, that when someone mentions buying a gyuto smaller than 240, everyone tries to talk them out of it...but when it's a Carter, measured in "sun"....a smaller knife is A OK. ;-)

I've always wondered the same thing! I even asked the question on this forum one time in a Carter thread but I don't really remember if anyone answered it. Anyways, I have a couple larger knives, so a small-ish utility knife will be a nice addition, although I did get the biggest one I could afford (7"). I thought about getting a 7 3/4" funy but couldn't justify ~$100 more for 3/4".

I've always wondered the same thing! I even asked the question on this forum one time in a Carter thread but I don't really remember if anyone answered it. Anyways, I have a couple larger knives, so a small-ish utility knife will be a nice addition, although I did get the biggest one I could afford (7"). I thought about getting a 7 3/4" funy but couldn't justify ~$100 more for 3/4".

Usually the knives Carter has for sale in stock on his website are smaller, the bigger ones are either custom ordered or snatched up fast when they hit is website. So the smaller ones are just more readily available. Plus anything under 6.5 sun is going to be cheaper per inch, the SFGZ series is like $15 cheaper per sun and the HG series is like $9 cheaper per sun than ones over 6.5 sun.

It's okay because a 240 is drastically more expensive than a 190.

It's okay because a 240 is drastically more expensive than a 190.

From Johnny C: Carter has for sale in stock on his website are smaller, the bigger ones are either custom ordered or snatched up fast when they hit is website. So the smaller ones are just more readily available.

Ahh...thanks. It's partially a case of...I want a Carter but can't seem to get in on the bigger ones (or can't afford them) . I'd actually like to have one of the 7" ,but it appears that I not only have to keep saving my pennies, but be able to jump on one when available. Shrug

In my case I really wanted a blade between 5-6" and a used Carter came up and I had to jump on it. If Maksim's 150 Shigs Petty's had come through a week or two earlier I might have jumped on that instead, but I definitely wanted something in that range and those were my top two choices.

In my case I really wanted a blade between 5-6" and a used Carter came up and I had to jump on it. If Maksim's 150 Shigs Petty's had come through a week or two earlier I might have jumped on that instead, but I definitely wanted something in that range and those were my top two choices.

Well, it appears that you might have gotten lucky. Even getting one of the the small ones is a crap shoot. ;-) Must be tough to sell everything you make... AND have people waiting. Tho'...I guess he worked hard to be in that enviable position.

That same funi you just picked up for $212 was $158 just a few months ago. This economy is p***ING me off!!!!!

I need to give myself a raise.......

Carter told me that the prices would go up this year ....

That same funi you just picked up for $212 was $158 just a few months ago. This economy is p***ING me off!!!!!

I need to give myself a raise.......

Way to give me buyer's remorse! :justkidding:

For as much praise as Carter's knives get, this seemed like a good price.

It's not a rant of the value of a Carter, simply a rant of the value of my dollar...lol

The fact that his knives continue to be praised, and grow in popularity combined with the high resale value says these aren't just the fad of the moment.....

Nice knife by the way....

I

Back