Quantcast
Tsunami Suji WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Suji WIP

OK so the handle materials for this one have "spoken!!" This one is going to be KNICE!

The handle will have front and rear pieces of Hippo Ivory sandwiching some of Craig s amazing stabilized burl wood.

Funny thing how things go sometimes.. This knife has taken on a mind of its own, and I have changed materials totally at least twice from what I had thought when I put this on paper.. It may sound CRAZY.. but sometimes. a knife will "tell" me what it wants.. This one was Screaming all week and kept changer her mind!! and was actually sorta pushy about it at times.. lol

Long and the short of it, Yes.. Im sorta CRAZY!! lol Yet the best knives I have made. were the ones I "listened to" more and dictated less.

Thanks guys for checking out the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hippo Ivory 008.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	436.5 KB 
ID:	4393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BURL!!! 003.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	4392  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hippo Ivory 009.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	4394  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Dang, that one's going to be another fantastic HHH creation! But to stick with the theme, I would think walrus tusk would be better then hippo...

Dave, Thats a great idea! Forward me a couple of large tusks. Blue would be best! lol JK..

Thanks man.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Hello and good day!

I finally got the handles attached and shaped out on this. I gota say, Im super happy with the handle combination and the way this one came together!

This is only the second Wa style handle I have done. Let me know what you guys think of her!

Next, the pins are being engraved with a Tsunami wave symbol. More Pictures to come!

Here are the specs.

OAL 454mm, 17 7/8"
    Blade, 300mm Tsunami pattern damascus 1080 and 15n20
    Heel height, 47mm
    Spine thickness, 2.5mm fileworked.
    Handle Western/Wa construction, hippo ivory and stabilized birch. Stainless and mosaic pins. aprox 138mm

Thanks for looking Comments and critiques welcomed.

Availible Knives

I love the filework on the spine!

I would skip the filework except for the endcap, I liked the use of corbys instead of hidden pins on a western-wa.

And as you wrote "Im super happy with the handle combination[...]" could not agree more on this.
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][I]-"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"[/I][/FONT]

Nice Randy! The ivory is gorgeous! Little wonder it fetches admiration and price!! Nice combo my friend.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

awesome work. that ivory looks great with the handle.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Wow! That is some great work. You just raised the bar.
    Ditto on the awesome file work.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    awesome work. that ivory looks great with the handle.
    Thank you Son. The tooth is very cool stuff. Its seems harder then other ivory's I have used. But the stuff polishes to a glass like smoother then silk finish.
    I really like it, Again thanks!

Availible Knives