Quantcast
cold smoking fish...and other non meat items
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cold smoking fish...and other non meat items

cold smoking fish...and other non meat items

I would like to start experimenting with smoking various fish, and also some fruit and veg just to see what comes out. Can anyone offer suggestions on an easy way to do this? Can I just put a little bit of wood chips at the bottom of a big pot and heat until it smoulders, then put my fish or whatever on a makeshift rack?

Engorged Member
    Cold smoke is indirect. Your rack needs to far enough away that whatever you're smoking gets the smoke but not the heat.

Pesky

Engorged Member
    I'd start with Italian Sausage then work up to fish.

okokokok - I always thought that would only work with a large smoker. But could I just have one pot on the stove with wood chips, lead a tube to another pot where I have salmon fillets on a rack and I end up with cold-smoked salmon? Sounds almost stupid to ask...

Stefan

Engorged Member
    Kinda...wouldn't recommend it in the house though.

Engorged Member
    My uncle used to build a fire out his smoke house and blow the smoke into it with a fan. Ghetto set up but great smoked sausages.

Pesky

alton Brown had a simple setup on a show a few years ago. All you need are three old high school lockers Make the smoke in one, route hoses through/ colied in the second, and discharge into the third, where the meat, etc. can hang or sit on racks. You may be able to rig something a bit smaller. Maybe use a big terra cotta pot for the fire chamber, and the other two could probably be made out of cardboard boxes. Use flexible dryer vent piping to move the smoke.

Cold smoke is definitely the way you want to go, otherwise you'll get a poor texture in the fish- imagine dry over cooked salmon, that's also leathery. Gross, right? When you cold smoke, it's best to cure the fish lightly first. It'll bring out more of the natural flavor of the fish( or add other flavors of your own choosing ), and add an extra safety hurdle, as cold smoking involves low temps- and therefore the possibility of encouraging foodborne illnesses, especially if you invest in some curing salts.... It's also a similar concept with veg. Hot smoke cooks them, and you have less options available to you in regards to the application of the final product. Hot smoking produces amazing meats ( due to the still relatively low cooking temps150-250) But, once again- it's safer and tastier to properly cure your product first. Pick up a copy of Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. It's readily available. Easy and fun to read and a great primer to smoking and curing meats. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039305...8763454&sr=8-1

make absolutely sure that you have pelicle formation for the best results. let the item dry after marinating, before you smoke that way the smoke stays on the fish and doesn't drip off. Put a fan on it and let it develop a skin of sorts by drying out the surface, it should feel a little tacky, but not moist. Than put it in the smoker.
    If your smoke turns black you might as well throw it all out, really bitter acrid flavor will ensue. Always white smoke.
    Whole vine ripen tomatoes still attached are awesome smoked.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    alton Brown had a simple setup on a show a few years ago. All you need are three old high school lockers Make the smoke in one, route hoses through/ colied in the second, and discharge into the third, where the meat, etc. can hang or sit on racks. You may be able to rig something a bit smaller. Maybe use a big terra cotta pot for the fire chamber, and the other two could probably be made out of cardboard boxes. Use flexible dryer vent piping to move the smoke.
    +1 locker smoker!!!