Quantcast
cold smoking fish...and other non meat items - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cold smoking fish...and other non meat items

We gotta hang out sachem....

I always wanted to visit Maine! Eat me some moose!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    make absolutely sure that you have pelicle formation for the best results. let the item dry after marinating, before you smoke that way the smoke stays on the fish and doesn't drip off. Put a fan on it and let it develop a skin of sorts by drying out the surface, it should feel a little tacky, but not moist. Than put it in the smoker.
    If your smoke turns black you might as well throw it all out, really bitter acrid flavor will ensue. Always white smoke.
    +1 pellicle formation is absolutely critical to getting a product that is firm on the outside and easy to cut. In my experience, a stronger or longer cure results in better pellicle formation.

However, many cures out there are waaaaaay too strong. You'll end up with something closer to salted salmon than a smoked salmon. Be very careful when choosing a recipe to use.

By the way, I've used a standard 22.5 inch weber very successfully to smoke most things. As Pesky recommended, do it with an indirect set up. I wouldn't do it inside or in a pot. To cool the smoke, you can put a baking pan or pyrex pan full of ice to cool down the smoke. And, it's also best to do in the morning or late at night so that the outside temperature doesn't get too high to start causing your fish to degrade while it smokes.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I always wanted to visit Maine! Eat me some moose!
    I just picked up a Mossberg 930 12 gauge, gas-fed semi auto. Pretty sure a slug or two'll drop a moose. Might find out next season

moose steaks, moose chili, moose stew, fricasee moose, moose jerky, moose pot roast, moose ribs, bbq moose, moose stroganoff, moose bolognese, moose burgers, pickled moose tongue, moose hump, moose pepper pot, moose stir fry, moose casserole, moose bougonione(may not have spelled that right)

moose steaks, moose chili, moose stew, fricasee moose, moose jerky, moose pot roast, moose ribs, bbq moose, moose stroganoff, moose bolognese, moose burgers, pickled moose tongue, moose hump, moose pepper pot, moose stir fry, moose casserole, moose bougonione(may not have spelled that right)
    Moose sausage, moose bresaola, moose bacon, moose mac'n cheese, moose ham, moose fritters, moose confit, moose rillettes, moose terrine, braised moose, moose ravioli, moose n' beans, moose pastrami, moose pot pie, moose mousse!!!!

see, now your just getting ridiculous.

see, now your just getting ridiculous.
    Most food is ridiculous, in regards to strict dietary concerns... In all honesty- I just chose the items I'd find most challenging to accomplish in the kitchen/fun to eat...

Sounds like you're mainly concerned about the how of doing this. One of the easiest ways to do this is to buy a cold smoke generator. The Smoke Daddy is very popular. Basically just attach it to a chamber (large pot, barrel, refrigerator, regular smoker/grill, etc) and it produces smoke with no heat.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm

I actually bought this little guy. It's essentially just a mesh maze that burns very fine wood chips very slowly with no heat produced, only a slow plume of smoke. It works really well, but you need to use the wood dust they sell, or it doesn't burn very well.

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/Default.html

Finally, my dad simply bought a hot plate, set a 6" cast iron skillet on it and bought food safe saw dust. This only smolders it and never causes it to flame up. He sets this little set up at the bottom of his vertical smoker.

If you have a Weber grill with the ash pot on the bottom you can put a couple of charcoal briketts and some fine wood shavings in the ash pot and have the smoke rise through the air vents into the grill. Works very well. I saw a guy use the frying pan and burner mod with a cardboard box once and it worked fine.