Media Sharpening Hankotsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Abridged for time but I think I hit all of the important aspects I hope. Not to disappointed with the first sharpening video I've uploaded. Let me know what y'all think.

[video=youtube;FqEkSHJkQaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEkSHJkQaQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks! I will try some of your tips there as I have struggled sharpening mine. Since I have never been happy with the edge, I have never been happy using the knife. Good incentive for me to pull it out of the drawer and try again.

-AJ

That was hugely informative, and will give me a fair boost of confidence when I go to sharpen my hankotsu for the first time. Thanks so much!

We're you stropping with the same level of micron paste the whole time?

Great vid man. Thanks for sharing, not to many of those video's on Hankotsu sharpening out there.

Questions;

Since the hankotsu doesn't have a heel, does the bevel width change along the length of the balde?
You strop on charged felt to debur after each stone, even after running the edge thru the felt block - do you feel it is really that effective? Is your intention only to debur by doing this?

Nice vid - thanks for making it! Cheers! mpp

Yeah, you can see it pretty good at 4:05, it kind of tapers down. That's just the way the knife is. I suppose the bevel is cut deeper into the steel near the tip and tapers out near the "heel".

Yup, just de-burring on .25 poly diamond. I feel it helps. Stropping between and after really took my game up another level. Dave's class was really informative on this subject.

You strop on charged felt to debur after each stone, even after running the edge thru the felt block - do you feel it is really that effective?

I do this too, always with great results.

Back