Quantcast
Traditional wet shaving - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditional wet shaving

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This exact blade is winging its way to me as I type.
    Very nice Jay!

It has arrived.

I better bring flowers home.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Jay I could not believe how nice that razor was today- You need to post more photos of your gear!

Ive been DE shaving since the start of the year and have gotta say i love it. So glad to give away the expensive 4 blade cartridge rubbish. Much more enjoyable with a brush or two and nice rotation of soaps, rather than goop in a can...

Gotta agree with Jim, B&B is a great resource for info. However be warned, if your easily influenced and dont like spending money, stay well away from all those enablers.

Josh

I'm a wet shaver. My #1 Razor is a Merkur #38 Classic. From time to time I also use a Merkur Future. At one time I had over a dozen badger brushes of various makes and grades but I have winnowed it down to 4 I use pretty much all the time A Plisson #12 HMW, a Simson Chubby #2 in Best , A Rooney #1 Medium Silvertip, and a custom Shavemac in Silvertip. I regularly use and like them all for different reasons.

My favorite soaps are Trumper's Rose, I have three I enjoy from QED: Patchouli-Tea Tree-Peppermint, Lime, and Lavender. I also have a love hate relationship with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

In terms of creams. Most any rose scented cream. I also like Trumpers Coconut. And both Lavender and Lime cream from Castle Forbes

My advice to anyone who is interested in making the switch from a multi-bladed monster and a can of goop to this is take it easy. Let the weight of the safety razor do the work...you don't press it into your skin like you do with a BIC disposable... Also, try different brand blades. I like Japanese Feather Brand blades closely followed by Swedish Gillettes. There are also a couple of good websites dedicated to wet shaving. Badgerandblade.com and Shavemyface.com

Its a great way to start the day!

Excellent advice Jeff!

Best thing about a classic shave(aside from the lack of disposable goods): It's so effing relaxing! Makes me want to get some bourbon and take a nap afterwards.

All the post here are spot on...the best way to start the day is a classic shave. Jim that New does look vaguely familiar as well. Nice straights Jay... I would never be able to post mine....just dingy old 105 yr old swedish and german steel....Although they were my grandfathers and could never be replaced....!!!
    Brian

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This exact blade is winging its way to me as I type.
    That is a beautiful razor. I made the leap right to straights about ten years ago. then decide to make some razors. I recommend against damascus for a razor. they look god but only shave marginally well, I believe that it is in the grain structure. I had a talk with Devin T. the other night and he is of the same opinion.

This is the nicest shaving razor that I have made to date every bit as clean and smooth a shave as my best old razor.

This one was good as well but not quite as good I think it was because the blade was a couple thousands thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    That is a beautiful razor. I made the leap right to straights about ten years ago. then decide to make some razors. I recommend against damascus for a razor. they look god but only shave marginally well, I believe that it is in the grain structure. I had a talk with Devin T. the other night and he is of the same opinion.

This is the nicest shaving razor that I have made to date every bit as clean and smooth a shave as my best old razor.

This one was good as well but not quite as good I think it was because the blade was a couple thousands thicker.
    Nice Bill,real nice! The blade geometry is so critical on these blades, it sounds like you have that one on the sweet spot.

+ Reply to Thread