Quantcast
Need a new line knife...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new line knife...

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan

Need a new line knife...

And having some trouble deciding, so I thought I'd open the discussion up to suggestions.

We recently had a slight remodel in the kitchen, and the old crappy undercounter in my station got yanked to make room for a shiny new prep-top. As thrilled as I am to have my mise accessible from above now--no more ducking in and out of that cooler every 2 minutes--it meant loosing my full sized cutting board. Having a 270mm knife on a 6 inch wide board is awkward as all get out (I either hang off the back of the board, or bump into the lid of the cooler), so I think I need to invest in something smaller.

What I'm looking for:
    • Stainless, not semi or carbon. I can care for carbon all day long when prepping, but my coworkers are seriously disrespectful towards my knives when they're on the line, and they get mucked up. People grab them without asking, set crap on them, chop with them and then throw them in the bleach bucket. So I think I need to resign myself to stainless.
    • 210mm should be the right length. Most of the German 8" knives at work are fine in the new station.
    • Western Handled, because of the aforementioned abuse at the hands of my peers, I'd rather not deal with ho wood stained with blueberry juice.
    • Monosteel would be ideal, as a matter of personal preference. "Stainless clad with stainless" doesn't click, for me.
    • Flat Profiled, or as flat as possible, no big bellies like our German knives.
    • Thin is in, though it needs enough legs to stand up to some abuse.
    • Easy Sharpener, which may be a bit much to ask with everything else I'm looking for. But since it's going to get a ton of abuse, I need to be able to get it back into action quickly.

Any suggestions? I'm currently checking out the Misono 440, the Mac Pro, and the Masamoto VG, though I'm sure there are other (and possibly better?) options out there.

Thanks!

Ask Jon Broida to special order you a 21cm Konosuke wa-petty with a stabilized handle. Meets all of you criteria except for "Western handled" and the stabilized handle should take care of the reason you want a Western handle. It'll take a few weeks to get, but it's worth it. Spaceconvoy did a great writeup of his, and it prompted me to order one from Jon. Mine should be here today.

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulleti...eview-amp-pics

I'd look into the Konosuke stainless line through JCK. I know you said no wa handle, but they offer a "stabilized" handle option at no extra charge (I believe) which others on the various forums have put through the wringer (like left sitting in a jar with vinegar or some such for an extended period of time) and the handles have held up just fine. It fit's all your other criteria. If you really think western handle would be best I *think* that that is an option as well. On the plus side of the wa handle, some of your coworkers might be less inclined to grab it without a handle they are used to. I really think this is exactly what you are looking for, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg either...

UGH NINJA'D...

sigh

Yes, PT is right. You could also look at a 210 gyuto from the same line if you like something with a bit taller blade. I think a 210 petty and 210 suji in this series are going to about be the same knife, don't know what the difference would be.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    UGH NINJA'D...

sigh
    Sorry. Two minds with the same thought...

How about a Minamoto Kotetsu from Japan blades http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/...tyle/1146.html Swedish stainless, thin behind the edge. 185mm but the profile looks pretty flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Sorry. Two minds with the same thought...
    You know what they say about great minds.

I think Aritsugu A will be a good chose this link for western handle.

11000 yen is very cheap for 210mm western gyuto and you support Japanese when you buy direct

http://www.aritsugu.jp/cart/html/09gyt.htm

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    On the plus side of the wa handle, some of your coworkers might be less inclined to grab it without a handle they are used to.
    Genius!

My boss is one of the worst knife-abusers I've ever met. I've seen him rabidly hack away at a pile of lettuce with my Hattori HD santoku, hearing a metallic "clink, clink, clink" each time the blade came down. Turned out there was a honing steel hidden under the lettuce, and he either didn't notice or didn't care. To pour salt on the wound--which, given the state of the edge at this point, was great--he then tossed it from 10 feet into the dish pit, putting two big dings on the spine.

I doubt he would have even picked it up in the first place had it been a wa-handle. That's a great idea. It'll also be less likely to accidentally end up in the Hobart if it looks distinctive enough. Though... you never can tell what the hell these grubby-pawed 16 year old dishwashers are thinking.

The HD is "semi-stainless," right? Will it survive a few hours of tomatoes and citrus? If the boss ends up in my station and I end up in his (because he's a dizzy bimbo), will it suffer an extended stay in the bleach bucket?

A part of me thinks the best solution would be to just pick up a Victorinox for the line, and keep the good knives in the bag for when I can prep.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

The HD is semistainless, yes. You'd have to ask an owner or JBroida about it's corrosion resistance for something like that. However, Konosuke also has a "real" stainless line, which is cheaper than the HD and might be more what you are looking for. Cheaper, so you won't be quite as paranoid about it, stabilized handle, right size, will include a saya. All you could want.