Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new line knife...

"My boss is one of the worst knife-abusers I've ever met. I've seen him rabidly hack away at a pile of lettuce with my Hattori HD santoku, hearing a metallic "clink, clink, clink" each time the blade came down. Turned out there was a honing steel hidden under the lettuce, and he either didn't notice or didn't care. To pour salt on the wound--which, given the state of the edge at this point, was great--he then tossed it from 10 feet into the dish pit, putting two big dings on the spine."

This gave me actual chills down my spine! And you let him live?!?!? That belongs in the "worst things you've ever seen" thread!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    "My boss is one of the worst knife-abusers I've ever met. I've seen him rabidly hack away at a pile of lettuce with my Hattori HD santoku, hearing a metallic "clink, clink, clink" each time the blade came down. Turned out there was a honing steel hidden under the lettuce, and he either didn't notice or didn't care. To pour salt on the wound--which, given the state of the edge at this point, was great--he then tossed it from 10 feet into the dish pit, putting two big dings on the spine."

This gave me actual chills down my spine! And you let him live?!?!? That belongs in the "worst things you've ever seen" thread!
    +1 ouch! I say go with the victorinox...

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post

"I conclude it was Vertigo, in the kitchen, with the knife."

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    +1 ouch! I say go with the victorinox...
    Agreed.Considering you work with a bunch of disrespectful buffoons,I'd go with the victorinox..

If they weren't so overpriced I would say Cutco.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

In that environment, I wouldn't recommend any Konosuke. No matter how big a microbevel you put on it, they're still very thin behind the edge and won't stand up to serious abuse. The Misono would be a better choice, but from what I hear, maybe not the best for edge retention. I second going with the Aritsugu A, which at 210mm should be thinner behind the edge than the 270 most people complain about.

And I wouldn't worry about the wa handle so much - soak it overnight in mineral oil and it should be pretty resistant to most stains.

Not sure about buying it direct, since they might want you to pay by bank transfer, but you should definitely try sending them an email and report back your findings Aframestokyo would be another source.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    "I conclude it was Vertigo, in the kitchen, with the knife."
    Ha!

It was surreal, for sure. I think a lot of my anger was offset by the compassion I have for the poor bastard. The first time I went to work for him was '94, and he was already 23 years into running a high volume restaurant. By now, hell, it's a miracle he's even on his feet. He just bumbles up and down the line breaking our eggs, burning our toast, sticking his ass crack out as he shoves the shop-vac under the grill (in the middle of service), shouts profanity at the dining room, and occasionally mangles my cutlery.

So yeah, I wanted to be mad... but he's an old, tired dog, too stuck in his ways and too stubborn to know when to quit. There but for the Grace of God will I go.

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Agreed.Considering you work with a bunch of disrespectful buffoons,I'd go with the victorinox..
    Yeah, the more I sound this out the more it seems like the logical choice. Hell, the one time I left my Misono carbon at work (in the back, on my shelf, in it's saya), the night shift took it out, abused it, and left it wet on the mag strip where I found it--and it's fancy new rust!--the next morning.

I used to work with another jeweler who was a tool abuser. He was always trying to borrow my tools because his were dull and messed up. Drove me bonkers. I hid stuff, but could not turn my back on him!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Yeah, the more I sound this out the more it seems like the logical choice. Hell, the one time I left my Misono carbon at work (in the back, on my shelf, in it's saya), the night shift took it out, abused it, and left it wet on the mag strip where I found it--and it's fancy new rust!--the next morning.

This is infuriating, not just because the knife was mistreated, but the principal of it! I work in a mechanic shop (I help run the shop, but I'm not actually a mechanic) and every now and then I will borrow one of the guy's tools while I do simple repairs on my own car such as an oil change or a brake job. Anyways, I ALWAYS ask permission and everytime I bring a tool back I show it to them so they know that not only is it back in their possession but it hasn't been misused. Some of the guys will grab tools from another guy's box and might keep it for a few days. Who in their right mind thinks this is acceptable behavior?!?

I would agree with spaceconvoy on this one, definately no konosuke in that environment. But I just can't bring myself to go with the forschner either. I just bought a cheap fujiwara stainless for a new prep cook that has actually turned out to be a pretty good knife, larger primary bevels say 18-20 degrees and it should put up to some abuse, but still cut better than a german knife. Either that or a tojiro, their 210 is a pretty good all rounder, my only grip is the lack of height.

good luck, kick your boss for me when you get a chance.