Thoughts on these Mizono's please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Just looking for feedback on these knives

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html

Maye thinking of a 270 Blue Gyuto, just as something different to add to my growing collection, my thought is that it looks meatier with a nice bit of heft and solidity to the blade

Any thoughts welcome, im just fishing around for thoughts and ideas.

Alan

I have been looking at that knife for a few months now. I love the look of it but dont know a whole lot about it. I would love to hear more about them as well!

There are plenty of these out there, as they were the hot knife a few years back, so someone should be able to chime in. I know Salty swears by the Mizuno grind, and they are the iconic "mighty" gyuto. I love that JCK will flip the handles for lefties; thats awesome!!!!

They are definately a sturdy knife. I had a 240mm for a while before selling it to a co-worker that loved it. If you're looking for a heftier knife to compliment a herum of lasers this is a fantastic choice. The boys at mizuno do a fantastic job with blue 2 and the edge retention and overall quality of the edge that it does take shows it. The cladding is a touch on the reactive side untill it develops a solid patina, but the patina comes quickly and has that slightly orange-ish tint to it that soft iron cladding usually takes.

Pretty much what's already been said. Really great job on the HT/grind on the blue steel. Definitely on the mighty side, but cuts very well. I had one of the older ones in the "torpedo" shaped profile (as shown in the picture on JCK), but I think I heard that newer ones had a different shape to them (more like Salty's honyakis)? I also liked the inexpensive upgrade to get an octagonal handle. Comes with a nice saya too.

If I ever come by the money/inclination to pick up another Wa handled gytuo, it will probably be one of these or a Watanabe.

Oh and here's something to drool at. Always loved that video.

I was torn between Mizuno and Masamoto when looking for my first 240mm. I went with the KS, but love the Mizuno profile. Very distinctive and seems like a good all around taskmaster. I think the only negative thing I ever read about them had to do with spotty fit and finish...but maybe that's not an issue.

Edit: I was just reminded of the customization options available through JCK. This appealed to me as well (octagon? ebony? mirror polish? yes please!).

I own one and use it frequently. It's is a wonderful knife. Everything that has been said about HT and reactivity is spot on. Easy to sharpen. Takes and holds a great edge. If you buy one look up ugly joes sharpening method for it. It seems to me (and to him obviously) that thd knife was meant to be sharpened this way. Basically hamaguri on both sides. Fit and finish was great in some ways terrible in others. Perfectly rounded choil and spine but My saya doesn't fit very well at all and the top of the ferrule is really really rough. I will say that it is a pretty light knife that has more flex in it than I thought. I would personally not describe mine as "mighty". Thicker than a konosuke HD...but not "mighty" like my heiji.

I have the deba in blue#2 and I really like. The steel is very tough and has some of the best edge retention and resistance to damage.

I have a blue 270 with a stefan handle. I must say I absolutley love this knife. It has become one of my favorite knives to take to work with me. The heat treatment is great, it is not a laser but it is not thick, has a fantastic taper, nice F&F (could have been done by the previous owner), I love the profile, really I don't have any complaints about it, no wedging, no chipping even on poly boards, have let some guys in my kitchen use it and beat it up with no damage. I traded a carter suji for the knife and although I miss the suji, I wouldn't even think of trading it back. I don't know about the current profile but mine looks like the one in the photo.

-Chuck

Right I could see how that would be confusing comparing carbon to semi stainless.

I have the. Blue #2. I just meant that this knife is touted as a heavy thicker Gyuto and it is actually pretty light and thin.

Amazing grind, amazing "feel". The fit and finish has gone way up since past issues. I love mine. The cladding is very reactive though.

I have a 21cm mizuno usuba (white 2 though). Very comfortable, possibly the best finish on the spine and choil of any knife I own, steel feels great on the stones and takes a great edge. Only complaint was with the handle; small crack in the ferrule and I opted for the octagonal/ebony upgrade too.

Cheers,
Josh

Back