Quantcast
Routers!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Routers!

Routers!

Well just found out my 8 year old router that I thought was doing fine is an antique piece-o-crap! I thought my internet connection was ok, but then a while ago, someone posted about a speed check site. Mine is a Pontiac Accadian in a world of Camaros! A blistering 3.2MBS My service tested at 20 MBS, not screaming fast, but a lot better than 3.2! What routers work better in a home setting, with 3 computers, I-pad, 2 I-pods, and 2 android phones (wi-fi) running at any and all times? Sorry, I'm not the most tech savy any more...

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I work at a graduate school filled with Apple and PC computers of all kinds, as well as iPhones and Droids. We use Apple Airport Extremes, and they have proven very reliable. I ditched the router I was using at home for one and have been very pleased.

http://www.amazon.com/Airport-Extrem...8856938&sr=1-1

+1 on the airport extreme at home. very easy to set up. mixed platforms at my house, apple tv, iphone, android, ipad, pc and mac. between myself and 2 teenage daughters there can be multiple devices using the wifi at any time and multiple devices streaming youtube videos, netflix shows or general internet surfing.
    I have never has an issue with the airport extreme in almost 3 years now. very satisfied.

ROuters:
    the basic purpose of routing.. To route to the various sites and pages and keep track of it via IP addresses. A torrent application is processor most intensive as it has to remember the sites for each download and the download can be from multiple sites ( seeders)_ as we can have a lot of request files to download, keep track of multiple sites for each particular download..
    SO the latest router with better processor is always preferred. Wifi.. go for the latest specifications which I believe is the N standard..
    SO with more pcs, android or apple dvices connected, it has to remember the dynamic address assigned for that particular device connection and also all the sites for each device.. it does pose a load on the processor.
    From experience, it is best to re-start the router once a week as some times it does the memory. Sunday is the day that I re-boot all my computers and routers.. and do my weekly maintenance.. clear all cache, temp files..

Have fun.

It could also be the modem, I had a friend that was getting really slow speeds like that with his 20 MB connection turned out his modem was bad. If your company provides them tell them to hook you up with another one.

My favorite router is anyone you can flash with a linux operating system such as DD-WRT or Tomato. For ease of setup though a linksys or the apple the others mentioned would work as well.

I have had Linksys for years with no true issues. I currently have a WRT400N from them that works fine. I thought I was having some issues with it and bought a D-Link 655 router but did not feel it was in any way better than the Linksys router I had so I went back to the Linksys, DID A FIRMWARE UPGRADE and my issues went away. You may want to consider that first.

Not sure of your true issue. We have Windstream ISP here and I am paying for their fastest service 3 Mbs but Speedtest routinely rates my speed as D- or F+ with speeds just above or below 1 Mbs. What can you do?

I had hoped this might have been a discussion on plunge routers, oh well. :P

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I work at a graduate school filled with Apple and PC computers of all kinds, as well as iPhones and Droids. We use Apple Airport Extremes, and they have proven very reliable. I ditched the router I was using at home for one and have been very pleased.

http://www.amazon.com/Airport-Extrem...8856938&sr=1-1
    +1 for Apple Airport Extreme - I also use an Airport Express. You can save some money by buying a refurb from Apple or cowboom.com (best buy).

Its old this one, I tried to contact D-link, the even stopped supporting it 4 years ago. Thanks for the tips, looks like I'm going shopping. Oh, yeah, I tested my service with the service provider, it is coming in 6X faster than the router is putting out, I disconnected the router, and connected by LAN, so I'm confident its the router. As for a firmware upgrade, the tech giggled before he said it isn't supported anymore.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

As to the modem question, "Linksys" both at work and at home.

I have had linksys,apple airport, and a few others. They all worked fine. Now the cable company I have provides it.