Quantcast
Routers! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Routers!

I use a DLink DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router. For me this works well as it has super fast ports, has many options and broadcasts dual bands for multiple wireless connections and I can easily set port priority on devices. This way my xbox or pc or whatever device I wish will get the highest bandwith without bottlenecking. Most decent routers have this feature but this one is quite easy to set up.

About firmware however. Please make sure you research the latest firmware BEFORE you install it on your device. 9 out of 10 times the instructions will tell you there is a firmware update you can perform right out of the box. Don't do it yet. Check the forums, listen to comments and be very careful before you install. First, if it aint broke, don't fix it! Meaning, if you have a solid connection with no drops or communication errors on your devices, just leave it alone. There may be a higher firmware version available for your device but it may be unstable or buggy for your setup. Also, in some cases once you do update to a higher version and find out it is unstable or buggy, you can not roll back to the previous more stable version. So now you are stuck with a buggy unstable connection dropping signal constantly. Further, once companies move on and stop supporting devices, you are left holding the bag as they will not provide you for a means to roll back or forward further for an escape. At this point you have to seek the community's help and hopefully someone will have a fix.

So always check the support forums for the particular device you are thinking about flashing the firmware before you do so. It can save you many a headache if you do.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    I have had linksys,apple airport, and a few others. They all worked fine. Now the cable company I have provides it.
    My cable company was providing it too, however I learned that I was "renting" it from them for a small monthly fee, which was not to my advantage financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    My cable company was providing it too, however I learned that I was "renting" it from them for a small monthly fee, which was not to my advantage financially.
    Absolutely agree. I should buy another. Especially since I just increased my bill. Got a new t.v. with dvr box in the bedroom for my wife for Valentine's day she is thrilled.

I should add that my router is no longer manufactured by Dlink at this point. I would still reccomend it if you could find one cheap but for a more current option from Dlink I personally would look D-Link Systems HD Media Router 3000 (DIR-857)

That looks to be a sexy beast!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Router Information Galore

[/QUOTE]=PierreRodrigue;79895]Well just found out my 8 year old router that I thought was doing fine is an antique piece-o-crap! I thought my internet connection was ok, but then a while ago, someone posted about a speed check site. Mine is a Pontiac Accadian in a world of Camaros! A blistering 3.2MBS My service tested at 20 MBS, not screaming fast, but a lot better than 3.2! What routers work better in a home setting, with 3 computers, I-pad, 2 I-pods, and 2 android phones (wi-fi) running at any and all times? Sorry, I'm not the most tech savy any more...[/QUOTE]

Lets clear a couple of things.

Speed testing your service does not test your router. It tests the maximum speed of your internet connection.

The theoretical speed of your service does not mean you will get 20 MB/S on all your downloads. Its the maximum speed you can get, however the speed you get depends on

- The number of people downloading or accessing the server you are downloading from (i.e. - ITunes)
    The more people on the server means the total bandwidth shared get smaller (slower speeds).
    - Is there traffic on the internet that is using the same path as your request
    - Is the speed being capped on the server you are accessing.

If you are getting 3.2 MBP/S sustained during a download, you are doing good. Rarely are the conditions correct for getting high speeds unless the site is using a lot of servers to meet the demand.

A router is an internal traffic cop within your own personal network. A router does not affect the speed of your internet connection. It inspects the requests sent out and ensures the response is routed to the correct device when the response is sent. Rarely will your router be the bottleneck when it comes the download or upload speeds.
    The router does have maximum speeds but that is for wired and wireless connections between the router and your devices.

The maximums for wired connections
    100 MB/S - older standard
    1 GB/S - Newer Standard

The maximum for wireless connections are MBP/S (Mega Bits per second)
    802.11b - 11 MBP/S
    802.11g - 54 MBP/S
    802.11n - 130 MBP/S

Again these are potential maximums not taking into account for interference, walls, distance. If you are not having problems with the devices on your network, the router is probably fine and does not need replacement. If you are having problems check your devices to see if all of them are slow. If it one is slow and the others fine, its probably that device. Check for interference, routers transmit on 2.4ghz channel and that is shared with cordless phones, baby monitors, and a ton of other wireless devices. If there are a lot of devices on the 2.4 ghz channel it can interfere and slow speeds. Microwave ovens when running can cause interference as well. When in doubt re-boot your network (This solves 70% of all computer problems from servers to tablets). The steps to follow are.

Power down your cable or DSL modem and the router
    Wait 30 seconds or longer
    Reboot the cable or DSL modem and give it a minute or two to start up
    Reboot the router and give it a minute or two to start up.
    Refresh the connections on your devices or reboot them.

This should do it for most router problems, if that doesn't work after couple of times you might have a problematic router or device.

I would NOT buy a new router to get better download speeds, The maximum speed of your connection and router are unrelated for the most part. Routers are not stress by home use and typically last a long time. A friend and I installed a Linksys router (802.11b) at his parents place almost 9 years ago and its still running. If you must buy a router, I would choose D-Link, Cisco (Linksys), or Buffalo.

Sorry for the untra long response, but I figured why not explain it all at once. PM me with any questions.

Did all the reboots, device checks, isolation test, speed test with the modem only, speed test with the router, factory resets etc. Tech dude came over and all, I have had to power down the router/modem at least twice a week foe freezing/stalling issues, the modem is new, the router has been deemed the issue, it works normally 70 percent of the time, and spazzes out like I said a lot. As far as potentials, my router isn't even close to what it used to be.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I had a similar Problem my router was a supposed 100 mbps model and struggled to get to 9 Mbps even using a single wired connection with wifi switched off. I upgraded my router and now get the full 30 mbps on any speed test site and a lot better connection all round.

I have used Netgear, Linksys, and D-Link. Personally, I would steer clear of D-Link, but Netgear and Linksys seem to do fine in a home environment. For business applications, some of Cisco's routers have had problems, so I use Netgear there.

I like my Porter-Cable, with interchangeable bases!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I like my Porter-Cable, with interchangeable bases!

+ Reply to Thread