Quantcast
Anyone Grind their own burgers? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Grind their own burgers?

Try adding some brisket into your mix. I don't have a grinder at home, but a buddy gave me a ridiculous burger a while ago at his house, and about 25% brisket was the only thing different from any other good burger. But man, the flavor was great.

We grind all our meat in house, but even then, I like to grind my own at home. I really like 2/3 chuck and 1/3 brisket if I'm going to do a bunch for a party or gathering. If I just feel like putting a couple burgers on the grill, I usually just do chuck, but I always have some trim in the freezer at home and that will often end up in the mix as well.

Brisket and Chuck, Dry aged. And Dry Aged Fat.

I used a KA at home for years and it worked but it smeared a lot. In the end the plastic housing cracked. About a year ago I picked up a LEM grinder and it was $$$ well spent. I've experimented with dry aged sirloin but the best blend I've found so far is Top Sirloin, Brisket and beef cheek (When I can find it). Once you start making your own sausage and grinding your own burger there's no going back. It's also nice to have enough power to just lop the chain off a tenderloin and have the ability to grind the entire chain with out getting every speck of silver off.
    I flatten my plates and keep my blades in tune with a 1K chosera.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

ya we do at work, we save all our scrap from tenderloins, strips, veal, shortribs etc and grind it together we mainly use it for staff mean only place i know that give prime beef to staff haha its pretty good though for burgers you can control how much fat you want in it and whatnot.

i do small batches. i dont eat alot of burgers, and when i do, i want it super fresh. i use my food processor. easy peasy!
    50/50 skirt steak and boneless short ribs.

Grinding your own meat is the best way to go. The taste and texture of pre-ground bought at the store does not compare. I've done it with a knife but it is more of a finely chopped consistency instead of ground, and the meat will not stick together as well so you have to be careful sometimes with the forming and flipping. But for some strange reason I prefer burgers this way over using a grinder. One time I flipped a burger made with a suji and it fell apart in the pan, so loose meat burger it was. And it still tasted good.

The food processor method is also a good way to go if you don't want to invest in your own dedicated grinder. Still better than store bought. I'm going to have to try the freezer trick one day.

I guess the most difficult part is finding a good bun to go with your burger.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

We cut tons of tenderloin at the CC. All the trimmings are ground together with a 25% ratio of bacon. We use them for our "gourmet burger", and it is delicious!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Ive been thinking for a while about going full grinder at home.... Anyone want to venture a specific grinder or attachment? How about the metal one sold through amazon for KA...
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    Ive been thinking for a while about going full grinder at home.... Anyone want to venture a specific grinder or attachment? How about the metal one sold through amazon for KA...
    I bought a Kitchener grinder for @ $100/shipped I'd say. OH look - here it is now:

Link for same: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FUXf4AodJlsADA

It's a work horse I'll tell ya that. If you are making sausage, or chop meat all day every day then it is not the unit for you. You want a commercial model. For the home cook who makes burgers, meatballs, chili, and some sausage this is a great bang for the buck.