Look What the Big Truck Brought

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I confess! I'm a tool junkie! Just like being a knife junkie, maybe a little more expensive but a junkie nonetheless. :funfunfunfun:

DSC_0100.jpg

The is my 5th jointer and one I have been wanting for a long time. A full 12" wide and 83" long bed, I can do a lot of things I couldn't have done before. One thing I can't do like before is move this beast. The shipping weight was 1059 pounds and wasn't a joy to move off the truck and into the shop. There was enough cosmoline on the tables and cutter head to preserve a battleship. Removing it took almost three hours but I believe I got most of it. I'm sure I will find some I missed just when I am working on a piece I don't want ruined.

BTW It looks mlike an aircraft acrrier and I expect to see F-15's landing soon.

That's awesome Dave! I've never gotten to work in a shop that had one that nice. It's something that I would imagine using all the time when it's right there / wondering how you ever got along without it.

But seriously, 12x84"!?!, how big a knife handle are you gonna make?
Or does this mean Martell sayas and boxes!?!

Wholly Moly! Awesome piece of equipment! Congrats!

Nice indeed. Is that really single phase?

BTW, what really caught MY eye is your shop floor. I love it. Is that in an old barn?

The jointer is 220v single phase. Although I do have three phase in the shop available, I prefer a single phase machine. Easier to wire.

The building has housed a wood shop before and a sewing shop making pillows which accounts for the oily floor. The last use was for nightly poker tournaments. They placed black naugahyde over the windows and doors to keep people from looking in. I do like the wood floor, not as easy to sweep as concrete but easier on my feet, knees and back. And everyone seems to comment on the floor.

Very nice machine! I have a really small(compared to that) one...

You've got the best tools Dave!

Thanks Dave. It's really difficult to maintain quality with second rate or smaller machines which is why I have invested in what I consider some of the better types. Besides, it makes the job easier and quicker.

pardon my ignorance, but what does that machine do? and what is cosmoline?

pardon my ignorance, but what does that machine do? and what is cosmoline?

No ignorance here. Just two good questions.

The purpose of a jointer is to cut flat faces or edges in boards to make them suitable for glueing. Without a straight and clean edge, the glue joint would be gapped and weak. Without the flat face, a planer will not do its job well and will follow a curve. In most wood shops, a good jointer is indespensible along with a good table saw and a good planer.

Cosmoline is a grease commonly seen on imported machinery with cast iron or bare steel surfaces and seen a lot in some firearms. The cosmoline inhibits rust and keeps the machined surfaces looking like new when cleaned off. Cosmoline is a nasty, sticky grease that is best described as yucky. After scraping it off I follow that with a rag doused in muneral spirits to finish cleaning it off. No matter how careful I am to get everything I can find, more keeps popping up during use and for the first six months it will keep reappearing in the least likely places.

Cool! nice to know! thanks Dave!
No ignorance here. Just two good questions.

The purpose of a jointer is to cut flat faces or edges in boards to make them suitable for glueing. Without a straight and clean edge, the glue joint would be gapped and weak. Without the flat face, a planer will not do its job well and will follow a curve. In most wood shops, a good jointer is indespensible along with a good table saw and a good planer.

Cosmoline is a grease commonly seen on imported machinery with cast iron or bare steel surfaces and seen a lot in some firearms. The cosmoline inhibits rust and keeps the machined surfaces looking like new when cleaned off. Cosmoline is a nasty, sticky grease that is best described as yucky. After scraping it off I follow that with a rag doused in muneral spirits to finish cleaning it off. No matter how careful I am to get everything I can find, more keeps popping up during use and for the first six months it will keep reappearing in the least likely places.

That's awesome Dave! I've never gotten to work in a shop that had one that nice. It's something that I would imagine using all the time when it's right there / wondering how you ever got along without it.

But seriously, 12x84"!?!, how big a knife handle are you gonna make?
Or does this mean Martell sayas and boxes!?!

LOL yep! certainly make more sense for THIS Dave to have that... I guess that's what happens when you post from your phone and dont look carefully at icons or forums...

Justin050 - I don't mind being confused with the other Dave. In fact I would take it as a compliment. But we do different things and our machinery will be different.

That is really amazing. Always nice to have gigantic tools to make short work of big jobs!

Latest posts

Back