But Wait! ....There's More

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
2 more big boxes showed up from K&G today.

jd013.jpg

Killer Koa, Old Stock Amboyna, Rotten Maple and Wrinkled/Spotted Redwood.
I am getting delirious. I need a day off. Stefan, come help me clean this stuff up.

What the . . . OMG.

There is some awesome looking stuff in there!!!

The wood will a crusty residue on the exterior. Plus some moves a bit during the stabilizing process.
My clean up process is I first scrape off some of the gunk on 1 side of the block.
Then I run the blocks through my drum sander to remove the gunk on both sides as well as make the blocks flat and even thickness.
Next I trim the edged to make them square to the face.
After that 120 grit sanding on the stationary belt sander, then 220 grit with a palm sander.
Spray with a light coat of lacquer and take pictures.

Doing it this way takes away the guesswork about what a piece is going to look like.

Some of the redwood is going to look like thuya burl. Plus there is some strange stuff too.

Speaking of thuya burl, I am buying a batch of old stock thuya in a couple weeks. It is expensive so I need you guys to spend tons of money so I can afford it.
Just teasing, I have already set aside the money for that purchase.

Quite a process Mark. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess you don't really know what you have until you are done cleaning them up (sort of like developing film in the old days). I imagine it's kind of fun/exciting, if time consuming and a bit dirty!

Mark, i want to come spend a weekend helping you...Just so i can play with all of this cool wood :D Aside from that...I see a few pieces i am going to do my best to aquire.

Mike, Ill arm wrestle ya for them! lol :)

Great looking stuff Mark! as always Im watching and waiting! ;)

Mark, i want to come spend a weekend helping you...Just so i can play with all of this cool wood :D Aside from that...I see a few pieces i am going to do my best to aquire.

Aren't you coming out this way in April?

Still at the beach but I had to look at this.

St.

A friend of mine stopped at It's a Burl last week and bought 3 pieces for me from the 2 and 3 dollar bins! One is a chunk of maple burl that looks promising, the other 2 are really checked and wet. He had fun, though, and was very impressed by the operation. We may do a motorcycle ride down there when the weather warms just for fun.

Unfortunately i cannot make it....I was really hoping to be able to....But with the new baby, and work and everything, it is not looking promising...

Had a friend here who had a 11h stopover and we had a great day. I clearly need to get out more. But I had looked at this thread and the woods really sound promising, can't wait to see what they look like. Not that I am likely to buy any before I find out whether I will have a job in August... BUT: Mark, we have to talk thuya, that's the only wood on my list (except for the standing order on spalted Hawaiian signature wood...). And one of my favorites, too.

Stefan

Stefan you don't want to see this thuya Mark is getting, well that is if it's the same stuff as the block I just got from him. Your bank account will suffer!

attachment.php

less talking more sanding... Lets get that amazing stuff in the web store!

Stefan you don't want to see this thuya Mark is getting, well that is if it's the same stuff as the block I just got from him. Your bank account will suffer!

attachment.php

This is what I want.....Love this stuff.

Beautiful stuff. Mark, is that stabilized? With thuya, I never know what to do, I definitely like it better unstabilized but it can be a bit brittle.

Stefan

Back