wa-conversion or western rehandle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
In a moment of weakness last year, I acquired a Blazen 270 suji. It's a little scuffed up, has a little bit of poor sharpening damage and it feels a little clumsy but it does cut well. I was thinking of thinning it and then either rehandling it (since I have a bunch of ironwood scales and note a whole lot of western handles) or doing a wa-conversion. I can't seem to decide what to do with it...:(

In a moment of weakness last year
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had been in one of the moments...or several.

I say you do the thinning and go for the western re-handle. If you don't like it, then you could always do a wa-conversion.

I'd go for a Western rehandle. Should be a little easier than a wa conversion and as rsacco said, if you don't like it you can do the wa conversion afterwards. I think it is hard sometimes to get the conversions just right, I've seen a few that look good, but not quite right

I am an all Wa guy if I have a choice. Getting a wa suji made now as my next knife

Lol, I am an all western guy, I say rehandle with some of your killer ironwood and copper rivets.

I say go for the western re-handle and when you hose the bolster grind it off and then thin the knife at that time and then go wa. Ask me why I say this. LOL :D

I say go for the western re-handle and when you hose the bolster grind it off and then thin the knife at that time and then go wa. Ask me why I say this. LOL :D
Hahaha. I can see it now... I might go with that.

Latest posts

Back