Quantcast
Angle vs sharpness
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angle vs sharpness

Angle vs sharpness

So, its me again with my crazy head. I might again be going after something everybody thinks is BS and crazy, but it makes me wonder so badly...

I mean, the thinking that the knife is sharper with lower angle.

Lets talk edge-wisely strictly.

What I mean is, I started thinking of it, when I could shave face with my ajikiri, which is maybe aorund 40 degrees total, and a yanagi, which would be 15-30 or so.

They are both knives cutting rather soft manner, so Its not about the thickness for me.

Got me thinking, maybe more about precision in sharpening at angle you chosen that the angle itself?

I think precisely sharpening at a less acute angle will be better than poorly sharpening at a more acute angle. We are trying to join two planes, the more precisely this is done, the sharper the edge will be. Now, if you sharpen a 60º edge and 15º edge of same steel with the exact same precision, the 15º is going to cut more easily because it more effectively redirects the force from the material being cut, this would be more evident with denser products. So, the angle one sharpens the edge at will certainly matter for higher performance, but the precision at which that angle is maintained is also important to get the most potential from the chosen angle. Then there is the correlation of durability and angles, but that is another show.

Forrest

jesus dude, 60 degrees... You see whats this forums name?

never managed sharpening kitchen knife at 30 degrees per side, i guess that is out of reasonability?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post

never managed sharpening kitchen knife at 30 degrees per side, i guess that is out of reasonability?
    hey hey, chef trainers still teach sharpening at a 45 deg angle!!! LOL

no they dont, its 45 degrees total. any culinary school teacher will automatically spit out 22.5 degrees and insult the students intelligence by telling them how to come up with that (90 in half is 45 and in half again is 22.5). im not insulting just telling for the sake of my rant.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Many years ago when I was an artisan type woodworker I read a book by Bruce Hoadley which is apparently still in print:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...8971893&sr=8-1

He makes exactly this point in his chapters on tool edges. Basically that any rounding due to wobble is dulling an edge not sharpening. If you imagine the tangent line where the two planes meet it is much more obtuse than you would think. IIRC he also said something about not sharpening on anything that has some give or softness as the compression of the, let's say leather, under the edge will create this same effect.
    s.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Isn't this more of an issue with sharpness versus geometry?

Funny I'm referencing the EP guy Ben Dale on this, but he had a brief video explaining how he can get a machete at 20ish degrees per side to be sharp (as in shave) but it won't cut a carrot or other food products well, while his putty knife has no edge but will fall through a carrot much easier due to how thin it is behind the edge and beyond.

One of the many reasons that shaving with a kitchen knife doesn't mean anything to me--they should all be able to do so--but it doesn't mean they will cut well.

I apparently am one of those idiot chef trainers, I teach my students the 22.5 degrees on a side; I believe that this is correct for the stock western knives we issue them. An accurate 22.5 each side is better than most of them will do on their on,plus it is what I was taught thirty years ago by a man named Joe Amendola. I am aware that there is an entire "next level" of knife care in particular with Japanese made high-end cutlery, but if I am incorrect in what I am teaching my students please enlighten me-to learn is to grow.
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post

I was just choosing some really wide angle to make my point, I can't think of any application that would require such an edge. Don't worry, my knives all get the most acute edge possible.