Quantcast
OOTB edges?

Thread: OOTB edges?

OOTB edges?

noob question: I just decided to add a carter and a masamoto into rotation, and took them out of their boxes.

The odd this is the final edges seem really tiny - 1mm give or take. Even on the carters. Are these microbevels?

After sharpening my edge bevels broaden out significantly. Whilst I can't achieve levels of sharpness that allows the knife to pass through thermal paper standing on its own without a slicing action, I am wondering if there is something to the whole tiny edge thing.

Does anyone here sharpen to only the tiniest edge as well? Or leave much wider bevels?

tiny edges have to do a lot not only with how you sharpen but how the knife geometry is. For example a very thin knife will have a very tiny edge compared to a thick one. Usually, however, tiny edges mean a larger angle used to sharpen it, larger ones mean larger angles. I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the edge but rather how it performs and if it suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    tiny edges have to do a lot not only with how you sharpen but how the knife geometry is. For example a very thin knife will have a very tiny edge compared to a thick one. Usually, however, tiny edges mean a larger angle used to sharpen it, larger ones mean larger angles. I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the edge but rather how it performs and if it suits your needs.
    +1. My DTITK has a fairly wide bevel on one side while my DT proto has tiny bevels (maybe 0.5 mm).

A broad bevel is an indication the knife hasn't been thinned enough behind the edge.