Quantcast
Forged Jam spoons!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forged Jam spoons!

Forged Jam spoons!

I had a little play time today and forged some jam spoons. These were all done with my sharpest fullers in the power hammer...from 8mm stock
    The stem is forged to about 3mm on the diamond showing texture from the fullers. The spoon is spread with the same tools, one with a round splat for your thumb to rest in the other with a thistle shape thumb groove.
    These two were for practice in mild steel. I will do some in 304 stainless if anyone thinks its a good idea. I think the texture will come out crisper in stainless. I only rough cleaned these and polished. I'll try a stainless one, and give it a good pickle to clean it and mirror polish.

What do you think?

VERY cool looking! No use to me but I like the crazy design!

PS: your hands could tell enough stories to fill a book!

Thanks, its a bit of fun. I wouldn't serve breakfast with my hands like that btw

Do you have green grass in uk now?

Yes sir the grass is always green in herefordshire Bit of snow about but not allot. But what about the Jam spoons, too wacky for you? Jam spoons are by tradition a little wacky. Think i need to shrink them down a bit though. Will be a good stainless forging exercise anyway.

very cool, never seen anything like this before. I like it and would buy one, toast with different jams is a favorite in my house.

I don't know if I want one (I have too many things in my kitchen drawers as is), but it certainly is unique and cool.

Well I'll try some in stainless and see what happens, I've ordered some 8mm and 6mm 304, the 6mm should be extra good for developing ninja power hammer skills. I've been scooping some Jam with the test pieces and my thoughts are, they are overly long. I think they will look better even finer and more compact, the scoop on one is too small the other too large so somewhere in between with more of a flat section to the side of the scoop for really sticky stuff that gets stuck on the sides. And a bit more dishing to the scoop. I'll have more of a play and see what happens.
    Johnny if I made one with a little curly bit at the top so you can hang it up you would be fresh out of excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    ...more of a flat section to the side of the scoop for really sticky stuff that gets stuck on the sides. And a bit more dishing to the scoop.
    You're on the right track here Will.

While you're at it, consider a marrow spoon:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	marrow.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	4445
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

OOo now that would be a cool challenge to forge. I'm hoping with the stainless using the power hammer I can forge at dull heats to avoid scale and pitting, I'll try for a clean texture look, we will see it will likely come down to choice of stainless, some only likes to be forged very hot. If I can't get the effect I want i'll go on the hunt for some forging grade aluminum bronze, that stuff moves like butter at a dull heat and ages a very pretty golden color. If you can find it!!
    Its funny how sometimes I even need a fun distraction from my fun distractions.

+ Reply to Thread