Quantcast
Anybody like tripe? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody like tripe?

Tripe is a prime ingredient in a classic Mexican Menudo. If you've had a good Menudo you will probably like it. I wasn't a tripe fan but when I moved to El Paso in the 90's but I vowed to try all kinds of Mexican food. Like most ethnic peasant cuisines they know how to cook guts. I'm still not a big tripe fan but I'll jump on a steaming hot bowl of Menudo.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnachang View Post
    I'm in Philly as much as I can be. Pho Hoa on 11th Street,and the Tacqueria across from Geno's is where I go to get my TRIPE ON!
    Isn't there a Pho Ha also, I always get them confused. Lotta good places to eat down there between the Pho, taqueria's and the few remaining Italian joints. Man, now I gotta get down there for lunch on of these days. Next time your in that area check out the South Philly Taproom or Royal Tavern, 2 really good gastropubs if you never been to them.

Hate it. Hate the smell, hate the texture, hate the taste. When we were kids, we ran out of the house when my mom cooked it for my dad. Did I mention that I hate it?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I love trip, especially at dim sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    Tripe is a prime ingredient in a classic Mexican Menudo. If you've had a good Menudo you will probably like it. I wasn't a tripe fan but when I moved to El Paso in the 90's but I vowed to try all kinds of Mexican food. Like most ethnic peasant cuisines they know how to cook guts. I'm still not a big tripe fan but I'll jump on a steaming hot bowl of Menudo.
    My Mexican grandfather was a Huge fan of menudo and from what my Mom says, he cooked a serious mean brew of it. Unfortunately, as life would have it, I never got this from him. God bless Grandpa.

I cook all kinds of offal and need to buy some tripe (for the first time) and try creating a new family recipe of menudo.

I've eaten dim sum once and I'd eat it again although it really didn't taste like much. I've also eaten tripe in an Italian dish that my neighbor got from an Italian restaurant in Newark. That was pretty good. The only thing about tripe as far as I'm concerned ... it has to be the ugliest food item I think I've ever seen.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I've eaten dim sum once and I'd eat it again although it really didn't taste like much. I've also eaten tripe in an Italian dish that my neighbor got from an Italian restaurant in Newark. That was pretty good. The only thing about tripe as far as I'm concerned ... it has to be the ugliest food item I think I've ever seen.
    Heh...ugliest food? You clearly did not have a dad who was a butcher (not a meat cutter) and made..... headcheese. ;-)

I had menudo for the first time last weekend and I can tell you that I am a big fan. Although, from what I've heard it really depends on who makes it and how long they spend cleaning out the tripe of all "debris."

Engorged Member
    Try soaking it in buttermilk for 24hrs b4 you cook it. Tender and pulls the gamey flavor out.