• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Chukabocho

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlassEye

Reaction score
I would like to try out a Chukabocho but on a limited budget. I am looking for a larger size cleaver, carbon steel, I don't want to spend more than about $65. My hope is to get something a bit better than CCK, or used CCK for less would be fine also.

There is a Dexter cleaver on e-bay for $45, a decent place to start. Be forewarned, when you are hooked, you're hooked!

Hax CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Hax jumped in before I could....

Go online and source a Dexter Russell Connoisseur 8340. The only item on your checklist where it might...MIGHT...fail is high carbon. I knopw they make one, and I know some of their offerings are marked 'stainless' - I'm just not sure about this one.

There is a place down the road form my work a few miles, a place called 'Action Sales'. When you walk in the front the have about 50 different wok stoves on display. Walk to the back and they may have 100 woks on a shelf - thats 100 30" woks, then another 100 that are 28", 100 26" - get the picture? Then there are the 'Peking' or pow style woks...hundreds of them. Pretty sure this place caters to the trade. :wink:

Point being I walked in to get a CCK, and they have a couple of hundred of them - BUT NO #6 style slicers. Instead they have the Dexter, must have 50 of them just sitting there. Apparently this is what is used professionally in the san gabriel valley. In your price point, I really dont think you can go wrong with this.

I've sourced my cleavers directly from chinatown. Have a thin slicer type made from carbon steel "Three sheep brand", and a thicker Shibazi chopper. They cost me $10 each and both work awesome.

A few stores in chinatown did recommend me the dexter, which seems to be popular over there.

Is the Dexter cleaver as thin as a CCK? The Dexter Chinese Cleavers I have used have been VERY thick.

Hmm... $65 is a slightly hard in-between budget. I've seen VC's go for $80, but below a VC I'd just stick with a CCK. You MIGHT find one of the small Kagayaki's floating around, maybe... New they're like $100 shipped, so it's conceivable you might find one used in your price range. Or maybe a Misono Moly, though it's not Carbon? I've also not been a huge fan of the two Dexters I've tried, but that's not to say there aren't other models out there that are better. If you know what you're looking for and are in a large urban setting, it might beneficial to swing by your local "chinatown". If nothing else it'll be a fun day. Not sure if Lexington has anyplace that fits that bill, though...

Is the Dexter cleaver as thin as a CCK? The Dexter Chinese Cleavers I have used have been VERY thick.

I've had an older / smaller one (probably the 8110, now out on permanent loan) , and I handled the 8340...thin and scary light. Definately a slicer, not a chopper. No noticable differencein thickness between the Dexters and my CCk 1301 (or is it 1305? )

The DR I handled was a very light full size #6

Oh, and I think they can be had around $40

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried looking for a Dexter but found that difficult to find, so I just bought a new CCK 1103(02?), it looks like it should be a fun knife.

Back