Help me choose an LN Dewar.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
My present Gas supplier can supply me with LN, so thats all good. But i'm not sure what I should be looking for in a Dewar, obviously the neck size is a consideration and long enough to get a big Suji inside. I'm confused about materials, some seem to have a glass inner. Is that bad thing? What type would be best suited for plonking knives in and out? They are very expensive over here.:(
Advice much appreciated.
Will

Any available on eBay.uk?

Any chance of putting one together?

Pesky

They rarely come up, I got outbid on a 30 liter one with a trolley recently. There are some from the states, good prices but the postage is ridiculous, then there would be import tax and duty..... There are some choices here from retailers I'll find an example to see if its suitable.

Another source to check wou;d be larger cattle breaders. You may find a larger used one considerably cheaper. You need to look at how long the static hold times are. To get something new, will be pricy. I think Marko and Butch have got replacements not to long ago. The issue with a larger neck, is they are usually larger volumns. For example, the one here with a 3.75" neck, is a 35 liter container. Its hold time is 140 days.

Good advice, one thing we have allot of round here is cows, so there must be plenty of people using LN. Thanks Pierre.

Maybe I have one sitting around the house I could give you Will.

Just one question: what does it do and what does it look like? ;)

I hav found some ranchers over here selling as low as $250, but they are in questionable condition. You new price matches very close to some of the better ones I have looked at.

my 3.75 neck 20l wsa under 700$ here in the states
if i was not needing the wide neck i woudl go with the 2 inch 15l size as the hold time is more then 2xs what i get witha gapping mouth dewar

Can you rent one? Just asking since my wife's office has one in the closet and it sure looks like a rental to me.

-AJ

I like Wharton Taylor brand but they can be pricey if buying new. Both of mine have seen little use when I got them.

One thing about buying used dewars, or dewars with a large neck opening is that they are not very efficient and LN will evaporate faster. I have one older Union Carbide dewar with 4.5" neck opening. It would be great for someone making cleavers (in fact, I am sending it to Devin), but I found it not very efficient retaining LN. 2.5" neck opening is much better.

If you can get a dewar from US, who knows maybe somebody will take it back with them to England, this company has good product and prices
http://www.internationalcryogenics.com/products/ln2_refrigerator_group/

You can get 22L dewar for a very attractive price

M

Not too many choices here, at least not online, maybe the Cattle people can help there are plenty around here. Would be great to get one in from the U.s. but I don't think you'd sneak it past customs:D
I'll check out the rental prices to start me off, at least it would let me get the testing done.
Thanks Guys,

Back