WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
001-67.jpg
002-62.jpg
003-59.jpg
004-63.jpg
Here is the handle for my next blade.This is the hardest tooth I have ever used so far.I wore out 3 60 grit norton 12" discs and a 80 grit blaze belt shaping it:beatinghead: The ironwood has some nice figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
010-33.jpg

009-39.jpg

Here's a sneak peak,I need to clean it up a bit and take some pics in sunlight.

I love that handle. Nice work, Mario.

Great work, Mario -

I would never find patience grinding the mammoth tooth. :)

003-60.jpg

009-40.jpg

008-45.jpg

011-26.jpg

Here she is cleaned up and some better light.

mario

Guess we know what camera you use, now you don't need to answer the camera thread.:knife:

Handle lovers :( I don't look at Mario's handles when he brings his knives by.

I'm hoping he will make my next knife and it will most likely be my last.

Is this tip just a hair slightly more rounded than on your previous knives, or am I just seeing things? :scratchhead:

Is this tip just a hair slightly more rounded than on your previous knives, or am I just seeing things? :scratchhead:

I am shaping my profile all free hand,nothing I do right now is going to be the same.I think it is close in profile to my other ones.Mike which one do you like better?

Amazing Mario. Beautiful knife!!! Salty...I have seen part of your collection...I doubt you will ever be truly done :)

Very nice looking knife.
I have never worked with mammoth tooth but have been told it helps to be a masochist.
Just teasing you, but I heard it can be a bit of a challenge.
The knife and handle turned out great.

Very nice looking knife.
I have never worked with mammoth tooth but have been told it helps to be a masochist.
Just teasing you, but I heard it can be a bit of a challenge.
The knife and handle turned out great.

Thanx and you are 100% correct,you really have to be a masochist to work with it.

Thanx and you are 100% correct,you really have to be a masochist to work with it.

Oh dang, I just offered a customer that I would try it out... Mario, I'll be glad about any tips you have for me, I have had several pieces of this material around for years but was too much of a coward to use it ;)

Stefan

Stefan if you are lucky that mammoth had a sweet tooth,all the other chunks I have used so far were like balsa compared to this piece.

Stefan if you are lucky that mammoth had a sweet tooth,all the other chunks I have used so far were like balsa compared to this piece.

So, with a Foredom equipped with a diamond wheel and bits with diamond tips I should be o.k.? I was also wondering about masonry drills any thoughts on those? A few of my pieces fell apart but they seem to glue back together real nice. I'll see what happens when I cut the length or drill into them. In any case, Mario, you make them look really great...

Stefan

I am shaping my profile all free hand,nothing I do right now is going to be the same.I think it is close in profile to my other ones.Mike which one do you like better?

First of all, I think the handle is awesome. As for the profile, it looks like you have the profile pretty much dialed in. The tip does look a hair rounded compared to the one I got from you so I think it will perform a little differently than mine. But, I do like the way this one is shaping up. Looks really, really good Mario.

Great work, Mario -

I would never find patience grinding the mammoth tooth. :)

What about for polishing all that cpm154!?
That's one of the most abrasion resistant and hard to polished steels I've used, and that's one of the most perfectly finished blades I've seen. I would love to know your methods and machinery for that.

What about for polishing all that cpm154!?
That's one of the most abrasion resistant and hard to polished steels I've used, and that's one of the most perfectly finished blades I've seen. I would love to know your methods and machinery for that.

I took some pics today of the blade I was grinding,I will do a wip to show the method.

Latest posts

Back