Quantcast
Bill Burke 240+ mm midtech prototype review 1.0 - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Burke 240+ mm midtech prototype review 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The profile, oh the profile.
    looks like a Tanaka, to me.

I found this review very interesting and one that should help newbies like I know what to look for when examining a knife. Great photos and details in the review.

That Carter is lovely...

Thank you for the tough, honest, and thorough review TK.

Looking forward to a future report on edge retention. That is really what people are after with Bill's knives, edge performance. Colin's certainly talked it up and I've never gotten to sling one around at work.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    it's close to being very nice, i think.
    I am inclined to agree. Most of these issues would be easily solved by eliminating the bolster or pinning it instead of welding it. In my interactions with Bill, it seemed like the rest of the issues are the trade-off for going with a midtech over a custom. I could probably make this knife a lot more comfortable in a relatively short amount of time as long as I don't want to have that original finish but I don't think I should have to at this price point. I'd also lose sleep over messing the knife up.

With regard to edge retention being the only thing people really want out of a Burke, I beg to differ. I've heard a number of things about Burke knives. Yes, Colin said he sharpens once every several months but the truth of the matter is that a belt grinder strop loaded with 2 micron abrasives is a good way to sharpen something that isn't chipped out. Bill says he can cut a ton of rope with an edge before having to resharpen. I have no reason to believe this isn't true. Other renditions of 52100 have been very good and I have no problem with Bill's being the best in that regard. Looking at all the posts people make on Burke knives, most of them center around san mai and an awesome look. Frankly, I was hoping for something that would cut effortlessly, hold an awesome edge forever, feel like an extension of my body, AND have that awesome hamon and Bill Burke look. Why would you want less that that? It doesn't make sense. (Not that having a couple dozen gyutos does...)

Regardless, I really haven't decided what to do at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Frankly, I was hoping for something that would cut effortlessly, hold an awesome edge forever, feel like an extension of my body, AND have that awesome hamon and Bill Burke look. Why would you want less that that?
    I see your point, but being Devil's advocate, why would Bill charge less for that? Great & honest review though. Bet you wouldn't see that kind of candor on some other sites.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    ...why would Bill charge less for that?...
    Haha. I said I was HOPING for that. I was EXPECTING something that cuts effortlessly. Obviously, Bill did not take my hand size, cutting style, or any other preferences into account. That is where the lower cost should come in. One size fits all.

Are you going to take Bill up on his generous offer and return it for a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Are you going to take Bill up on his generous offer and return it for a refund?
    Like I said, I haven't decided what to do.