Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Burke 240+ mm midtech prototype review 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    Out of curiosity, did Bill ask for this review?
    No. Why?

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    What I meant to say was, I did not take nitice of wheather or not all of the sanding marks were removed from the previous grit belt before I moved on to the next belt ie... while grinding at 400 grit I did not make sure all the scratches from the 220 belt were removed before going to 800 grit belt. Obviously i did try and remove most of them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    it was the "almost no care" that piqued my interest.

I agree with many of the issues TK is stating here. It was my understanding that the Burke-Tec was his way of doing a mid-tec knife. I.E. saving time and money by having the blades water jet cut and sending out for heat treat. I would expect Bills mid-tec to be above the standards of other mid's especially considering the it's priced almost 2x the price. So while the fit and finish to the knife should be "standard" I.E. little or no chose of the buyer it should however be top notch. Grinding issues, bolster gaps, ext. are thinks that would bother me in a knife in this price range.
    This being a "new" type of knife/level of knife for Bill I think he should have had someone (cough me ) / a few people check it out and give him feedback befor he sold the knife, especially to someone with such discerning taste as T.K.

isn't this a prototype? Doesn't that mean that it is a piece that is specifically made to be reviewed and have all the kinks and issues worked out before you go into production. This is a prototype, not a perfect production model. I know that Tk is a perfectionist when it comes to his knives and has incredibly high standards as he should, but not everyone carries a 20x loupe to look at their knives. keep in mind this is a prototype and all the kinks haven't been worked out yet.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

an $850 prototype, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    isn't this a prototype? Doesn't that mean that it is a piece that is specifically made to be reviewed and have all the kinks and issues worked out before you go into production. This is a prototype, not a perfect production model. I know that Tk is a perfectionist when it comes to his knives and has incredibly high standards as he should, but not everyone carries a 20x loupe to look at their knives. keep in mind this is a prototype and all the kinks haven't been worked out yet.
    Only 20x? You wound me, Son. You make a good point but if I thought there was a chance that the knife I made had some issues, I'd be taking the route Colin described. I don't think my standards are incredible either. I put up with plenty. The next time you're in SD, stop by and I'll show you what I mean. However, a tool has to perform its intended function well (if it's expensive then VERY well) and it has to be comfortable to use.

i understand, not bagging., but like Bill said he didn't make that knife for you, if he had all of the issues that you mentioned wouldn't be there. probably a scanning electron microscope in 3d and infrared. I know what you mean about the cost, you buy a Ferrari you want a Ferrari not a vette.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    ...like Bill said he didn't make that knife for you,...
    I'm pretty sure he meant it's just not a custom. In that case, he takes some time to make sure the handle is the right size and does the knife to spec.

thank you for the great review TK. Custom or not, prototype or not, mid-tech or not....... for a $850 knife, things like that shouldn't be happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant it's just not a custom. In that case, he takes some time to make sure the handle is the right size and does the knife to spec.
    got ya