Quantcast
Bill Burke 240+ mm midtech prototype review 1.0 - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bill Burke 240+ mm midtech prototype review 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I'd be interested to see some shots of the DT ITK proto compared to different generations throughout the years, leading to the most recent. I'd bet they've been tweaked and changed quite a bit, probably due to DT's high interest in customer feedback...

I think we owe it to Mr. Burke to evolve with this endeavor, and at the very least applaud him for trying to deliver a product, that to some at least, may have been unobtainable before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	profile-rt.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	5462Click image for larger version

Name:	profile-lt+tkc.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	5461Click image for larger version

Name:	choil close.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	5458Click image for larger version

Name:	choil vs tkc.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	5459Click image for larger version

Name:	spine vs tkc.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	5463Click image for larger version

Name:	grind.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	5460Click image for larger version

Name:	bolster fix.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	5457
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Aesthetics BThe hamon and the lines of the knife are elegant and the finish is handsome, imo. However, the bolster looks sloppy. Bill pulled off two pins very well, but it is well documented that three pins would look better to more people...
    A-. The bolster issues are resolved. There is still a ridge on the bolster that is pretty common among westerns but I don't have a problem with it. It isn't fancy but it's nice and clean. Fixing the divot and the belly led to a very slightly wonky-looking profile that is hard to describe and doesn't show well in pics (since it looks nice to me in my own pics, lol). The spine droops down from the bolster to the tip a little and probably causes the heel to look wierd, too. Anyway... Enough of that. The finish looks almost hand rubbed but is in fact machine finished.
    ...Fit and finish CThe bulk of handle is comfortable but it is not very symmetric. Most of the spine is rounded except for the divot two thirds of the way down the blade toward the tip. The choil is not rounded and has what I would characterize as a burr on it. The bolster-blade transition is poorly finished with cracked solder that appeared to leak out of the bolster/tang joint. The bolster also has sharp corners on it that did bother me with certain grips, esp. sharpening. The heel was nearly flat ground and the choil view appears very thin but the knife thickens up near the edge and becomes more convex as it approaches the tip. Other than that, the grind was a little wavy in places but I thought they were within reason and the coarse grinding scratches were clearly visible under all of the polishing. They are closer to gone than what you would see on a Carter but they are there...
    A-. I'm pretty happy with the fit and finish at this point. It isn't perfectly finished (no knife is, really) but I'm not complaining.
    ...Performance BThe geometry is very good in some places and merely good in other places. The knife is not super thin and the taper isn’t dramatic but it cuts very well without feeling clumsy in spite of the tall heel to spine height. The profile is quite curved which is hard to get used to and the tip is very high. The actual tip work is very good to excellent as long as the cutting surface is low. Heel work is nice but there is a lot of sticking in that part of the blade. The knife felt a little thick toward the middle of the blade. The edge was very nice and stayed nice over limited use...
    A-. The grind is the same but thinner. The profile is also much nicer. I still think the heel is overly flat but not terrible.
    ...Sharpening ABill’s version of 52100 sharpened quickly and easily and took a very nice edge. I didn’t use the knife enough to really get a grip regarding edge retention but I can say I observed no noticeable chipping or deformation in light use over a couple of weeks...
    Nothing really to add here. Same awesome steel. Bill's edge was very clean and sharp this time around.
    ...Overall BThis is a nice knife by most measures. Depending on individual preferences, it may arguably be the best cutting custom gyuto I have used that was NOT made by Murray, Devin, Rottman or someone in Japan. Perhaps I am too picky or a cheapskate but at $850, I find this knife is intolerably uncomfortable and it really shouldn’t be this sloppy.While these comments are 100% my own opinion, I have made every effort to obtain unbiased feedback from the six other knifeknuts (with considerable experience among them) whose hands and eyes examined and used this knife. The feedback was quite consistent with my own. One person appreciated the extra thin heel and a couple of them were more upset about the bolster than I thought was warranted...
    A-. For many, this knife may very well garner a solid A grade. My personal preference is for the tip to be a bit lower, mainly and the balance between thin and convex could be better. I would say an apt description of this particular knife is a suped-up stock TKC (which is a great knife) made with Bill's signature look. I'm sending it back to get the maker's mark reinstalled.

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

Yup. I had a few conversations with Bill about knives in general. I think it is fair to mention that Bill doesn't usually make knives in this fashion but rather forges them to spec. These are very good knives, esp. if you value keen edge retention.

Oh, and the knife lost a mm or so on height and a few on length. The TKC in the pic is 235 mm.

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Thanks for updating this Tinh.

used it more lately Tinh?

How is the edge retention?

I think you will be very happy about the edge retention. A couple of experienced knuts other than myself have tried out the knife in its current form and we all agree the edge it takes is nice and it also freshens up very nicely on a conventional strop. The knife has been very well received.

BTW, if you've tried out this knife and want to chime in, please feel free.

I used the knife for about two days. Should of kept it longer. I used it a solid amount and notice little depreciation in edge retention over that time. Nice bite in the steel and the edge TK gave it. The profile is suited best for rock cutting. It is not the thinnest knife so people will feel there are knives out there that are better cutters. But what stood out to me the most is I felt like I could use the knife all night long and not get fatigued. I really can't understate how big that it is. There are a few things from a profile standpoint I would change because of the way I personally cut. but I enjoyed my short time with it.

Thanks for info. Who is on this passaround list?

I was thinking about passing around my angels: Doutzen, Alessandra, Adriana go Tyra.
    I will talk to Bill about it as they are going to Blade with him, and that I want to have them to my birthday 27th june.
    Bill is about to start on them now: Parer, Petty, Gyuto and Suji.

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    So I know that Tihn passed this knife around to some of you I would really like to hear from you guys that used the knife, good and BAD.

+ Reply to Thread