Etching and Cheese ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Slightly Less Hooligan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only on KKF would a thread title like that have any sort of meaning whatsoever! :tongue:

Anyways, I recently had my Misono carbon etched to enhance the darkness of the dragon. The blade was sanded down except for the dragon itself, and since it's return I've washed it a number of times and sharpened it. In use, it never discolored any food or left any residue behind when wiped with a towel. Today, however, I tasked it with a gigantic block of swiss cheese, and after grunting and groaning and struggling to split the tightly compressed loaf of swiss in twain, I noticed that both sides of the cheese had a few dark gray streaks from the knife. Anyone else with an etched knife had this happen before? I can't tell if it was simply the carbon steel discoloring the product, or perhaps an upper layer of etched/oxidized metal being stripped off by the intense suction/compression of the cheese. I naturally threw the discolored product away, but I'm not sure if there's something else I need to do to the knife to "stabilize" the etching.

you may have had some excess etchant in the engraving that worked itself loose from that sticky cheese. scrub it lightly with a soft tooth brush and you should be fine.

you may have had some excess etchant in the engraving that worked itself loose from that sticky cheese. scrub it lightly with a soft tooth brush and you should be fine.

Cool, that seems to have done the trick. Really had to torque on it to get the excess off, so hopefully I wasn't depositing trace amounts all over the other food I had prepped. Haven't died from etchant poisoning yet, so that's a good sign.

Was the cheese running on DC?

How can I tell? I plugged the slicer into the side of the cheese log today, and it didn't turn on.

Back