Quantcast
Micro-Meshing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro-Meshing

check out 3m's polishing paper, up to 6k (2Micron)

http://popsupply.bizhosting.com/3m_p...r_50_pack.html

I get wet/dry sandpaper up to 2k from auto parts stores and 3m micro abrasive film up to .3 micron from http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ .

The main problem with polishing a blade is the blade surface itself may not be flat / has high and low areas. Especially if it was done with a grinding wheel. I use stones or sandpaper mounted to flat surface (glass or granite plate) to get the highs and most of the blade surface leveled. It’s easier for me to see what I doing by first going in one direction and then do the next pass or grit in a different direction. For the really deep valleys, I wrap the paper around a rubber eraser. .3 film gets pretty close to a mirror finish, but you can see swirls if you look at the blade from different angles.

Talking

Someone in this thread mentioned micro mesh is just for wood...they do have a series of pads specific to steel. I believe they have the code or prefix MX...I am waiting for some in the mail and will try to post results...I am new to this all so any additional pointers are appreciated

Oh snap! 2 micron 3M paper? Thanks Stephan!

Am I the only weirdo who finishes his edges on 2100-2500 grit paper?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Micro mesh uses their own grit rating. MM 1500 equals FEPA P800 (~23 micron) and the MM 12000 (2 micron) corresponds to a JIS 6000 waterstone.