Quantcast
WTB: Safety Razor Set
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Safety Razor Set

WTB: Safety Razor Set

Not sure about the idea of going whole hog with a straight razor, so I thought i'd try a Double Edge Safety Razor first. While not at all the same, I figure I can at least figure out if the ritualistic aspect of this appeals to me. Can anybody here recommend a set, either from personal experience or from knowing just a ton about this stuff? Amazon carries a set which includes a stand, a Merkur 34c, Badger Brush, Plate and Col. Conk soap, but I'm sure there's others out there, and I don't mind supporting someone else besides Amazon, you know?

So, any suggestions? I've found also some sets over at Vintage Blades, but I can't seem to find anything about their own blade lines.

Thanks in advance!
    Ben

This is timely as I have been looking for the same thing. Seems like it is good way to get started, and I am only cleaning up the edges around my beard and moustache. I have seen a few sets at some of the straight razor sites, not too sure what I shoul be looking for in a brush, bowl, etc.

Similar ideas....I just purchased a Feather SS safety razor for a go at it. First word of caution is that the blades are super sharp -- after the first shave it looked like I just returned from a firefight. Visit the shaving websites and read the forums -- it's just like picking the member's minds on this forum re: japanese knives, sharpening, stones, etc. Let the razor do the work - light pressure! Once I figured that out, the shave is very good. I don't plan on going to a straight razor although many do. There are great websites dedicated to just this subject. Enjoy!

This is what I pulled together at West Coast Shaving last year. The stand is a bit flimsy, and tips over easily if the razor is in place when you pull out the brush. But that's the only issue I've had with any of the items:
    SS-PRS-003 Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap Refill
    $10.00 x 1
    $10.00
    SS-PRS-001 Provence Sante Shaving Dish w/ Soap
    $25.00 x 1
    $25.00
    AS-PRO-002 Proraso Pre/Post Shaving Cream
    $12.00 x 1
    $12.00
    SB-SHA-177-62-23-2 Shavemac #177 23mm Finest Badger Shaving Brush, Faux Ivory
    $89.00 x 1
    $89.00
    RB-SAM-004 DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice
    $10.00 x 1
    $10.00
    RZ-MER-38M Merkur 38M HD Long Handle Barber Pole Safety Razor, Matte Chrome
    $46.50 x 1
    $46.50
    OP-CYR-0109 Cyril R Salter Nickel Shaving Stand
    $35.00 x 1
    $35.00

Yipes! That's quite a set, but a bit more than I'm willing to spend before i know if this is for me. I was thinking of this off of Amazon:

Name:  41jUoxKKZRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  9.1 KB Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Shave Set: $30

And a razor, either a parker or the Merkur HD.

Merkurs are nice, I got the long handle slant.
    Make sure to get a variety pack of blades to see which ones you will like best.
    Be careful of brush acquisition disorder as well as cream/soap one.

Are there differences in the blades? I got a Merkur for Christmas and it seems pretty good though I don't know much about razors

Apparently so, as every place I've gone too in reading about newb buying advice has advocated getting a sampler pack. Maybe not so much a functional difference as personal preference is what I'm inferring, though.

here is a site with some seemingly helpful info...
    http://www.fendrihan.com/shaving-advice-ip-73.html

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Apparently so, as every place I've gone too in reading about newb buying advice has advocated getting a sampler pack. Maybe not so much a functional difference as personal preference is what I'm inferring, though.
    Exactly, the blades feel different so one has to try a few makers to find out what they like best.

+ Reply to Thread