Quantcast
Why is D2 so toothy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is D2 so toothy?

nice del and thats why i dont like the cpm D2 as its taking away the "best" (is it really that great) thing that D2 does
    the CPM make the choice to use cpm154 much easer
    D2
    C Co Cr Mn Mo Ni P Si S V
    1.55 - 11.5 0.4 0.9 - - 0.3 0.03 0.8
    cpm154
    1.05% 14.00% .50% 4.00% .40%

if you are in need of SS get SS and if you need a crazy tuff tool steel get it (i hate middle of the road steel less you are making miffle of the road knives )

I've been playing with a Heiji. I'm not sure if it's SKD11 or 12 but based on specs, I'd guess it's SKD11. Anyway, I shaved with it, made a few meals with a few hundred boardstrikes and it was still splitting hair. I'm going to strop it and see how it shaves probably tonight. This is an exceedingly fine edge. My understanding is the large carbides will tend to stick around if your edge is fairly thick/coarse.

[QUOTE=tk59;5744]I've been playing with a Heiji. I'm not sure if it's SKD11 or 12 but based on specs, I'd guess it's SKD11. Anyway, I shaved with it, made a few meals with a few hundred boardstrikes and it was still splitting hair. I'm going to strop it and see how it shaves probably tonight. This is an exceedingly fine edge. My understanding is the large carbides will tend to stick around if your edge is fairly thick/coarse.[/QUOT

Heiji is a SKD12.You are dead-on with this blade having a fine edge.I am not feeling the big carbine shpeel on the edge that is supposed to be a trait of this steel.

[QUOTE=RRLOVER;5805]
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I've been playing with a Heiji. I'm not sure if it's SKD11 or 12 but based on specs, I'd guess it's SKD11. Anyway, I shaved with it, made a few meals with a few hundred boardstrikes and it was still splitting hair. I'm going to strop it and see how it shaves probably tonight. This is an exceedingly fine edge. My understanding is the large carbides will tend to stick around if your edge is fairly thick/coarse.[/QUOT

Heiji is a SKD12.You are dead-on with this blade having a fine edge.I am not feeling the big carbine shpeel on the edge that is supposed to be a trait of this steel.
    in all honesty, i'm not 100% sure about this... i really want to ask him, but now is not the best time. As soon as i can, i will. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    Wow Delbert. Now THAT is what I call an explanation! Nice post.
    +11111

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I've been playing with a Heiji. I'm not sure if it's SKD11 or 12 but based on specs, I'd guess it's SKD11.
    JIS SKD12 is AISI A2 tool steel. About 4%-5% Cr in it, SKD11/D2 have over 11% Cr.

P.S. Does Heiji publish the specs?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...Does it perform like this regardless of how the steel is handled? And does the "toothiness" of it buff out?
    I tried a smoother edge on a d2 and cut up a bunch of cardboard without issue. As far a I can tell, d2 will take a polished edge -- as long the edge is on the mighty side. However, it doesn't like acute angles, and takes quite awhile to polish & sharpen. I didn’t have the patience to refine to shaving / mirror level, but it seems doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    P.S. Does Heiji publish the specs?
    No that i know of... once he gets back on his feet again, i'm intending to talk with him about it

I C. TK59 said "based on specs" so I thought may be he did publish specs for something. Anyway, you know I am always happy to grab a new steel composition Closing on 3K alloy names fast.