Quantcast
Prolonging greens - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prolonging greens

I agree. I will try to figure out some way of getting through some heads. I know I went in last Monday and a kid had chopped a whole bag leaf lettuce. What is that, six heads? The most I've ever done is 6 salads at lunch. I'm not sure there is a fix for stupid though. Lol.

What about those green as-seen-on-tv vegetable bags? Pure gimmick? Would I be better off putting the chopped greens into a normal zip lock bag and squeezing all the air out than using our current method of just storing in a plastic carbo?

Thanks,

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I agree. I will try to figure out some way of getting through some heads. I know I went in last Monday and a kid had chopped a whole bag leaf lettuce. What is that, six heads? The most I've ever done is 6 salads at lunch. I'm not sure there is a fix for stupid though. Lol.

What about those green as-seen-on-tv vegetable bags? Pure gimmick? Would I be better off putting the chopped greens into a normal zip lock bag and squeezing all the air out than using our current method of just storing in a plastic carbo?

Thanks,

-AJ
    I read your post 3 times, and each time I had trouble not imagining that you were talking about the kid and not the lettuce...

My wife tried out a couple of the green bags and they seem to help add a couple days to the life of the produce. Testing was not scientific, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Nitrogen gas.
    nobody else has commented on this, but Spike is right: displacing air with nitrogen and then sealing it tightly will definitely prolong the life of the greens, especially if they are well washed first.

Yeah, I knew this this. It's what I keep hammering on. I was just wondering if there might be some better storage methods.

We're kind a unique situation where we are fully staffed by interns. And unfortunately in our demographics that does not mean that we have the best of the best working. I'm finding that for ever 20 culinary students, at most 3 really get it, at most. And of the remaining 17 or so, at least 10 shouldn't be there at all. And I don't know why they are.

I'll keep trying to improve things within the limited constraints that I have.

Thanks!

-AJ
    The other issue and the reason they are turning brown is the knives are definitely not clean before they use them and they are dull as hell. culinary students are lazy and they don't wash their knives and they can't sharpen worth ****. Your greens will last twice as long if they sharpen their knives and clean there boards and blade before cutting the lettuce. Go with stainless if you can less reactivity.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

"I'm not sure there is a fix for stupid though. Lol."

A big stick!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    "I'm not sure there is a fix for stupid though. Lol."

A big stick!
    make them breathe the same nitrogen as the greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I always tell my guys that in a prefect world you're cutting the last couple salads to order.
    +1 that is the way we usually end up doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    The other issue and the reason they are turning brown is the knives are definitely not clean before they use them and they are dull as hell. culinary students are lazy and they don't wash their knives and they can't sharpen worth ****. Your greens will last twice as long if they sharpen their knives and clean there boards and blade before cutting the lettuce. Go with stainless if you can less reactivity.
    Very true. They are probably using the Dexter knives that live in the drawer. Maybe they are using their own knife kits, Mercers. Either way, none of their knives are sharpened since they left the manufacturing plant. Heck, I'm not even sure they are washing the greens! I wash them and spin them but that's what I was taught. When I say interns, these guys have only completed their first term in school.

I'll see what I can do to address the knives. Is a 400 grit Chosera good enough for the Dexters?

Thanks,

-AJ

Is a 400 grit Chosera good enough for the Dexters?
    very probably.