Maxim's seminar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to particepate in Maxim's seminar today. He brought quite a lot of knifes and .... stones of course.

The whole thing was very laid back. We got a little theory, saw different techniques demonstrated and last but not least - we did some sharpening ourselves. Maxim was kind enough to let us try all the stones he brought with him - both "cheaper", intermediate and expensive ones. It was great to be able to try J-nats hands on - can't get any better can it :D

I myself got a few bucks poorer ... I got a petty and 2 stones. That being said, I got a lot richer - I got a great knife, rocks and last but not least - great company. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

The subject J-nats has been on this forum many times. I have often read that they were to expensive, synthetic were as good and cheaper etc. After using these stone there's no doubt in my mind - synthetics can't compare to naturals (well the ones Maxim had in stock), period! On the seminar I sharpened my shig and 30 min ago I sharpened my Yoshi SKD gyuto and petty. Result = the sharpest edges I have ever produced!

We didn't really discuss angles. Maxim has his style, I got mine - so did others. Point is, that the knife will get sharp if you maintain your angle - being 18.7 degrees, 16 degrees etc. Really not rocket science as many claim it is! Keep steady angles and you're fine.

As mentioned earlier I tried all different kind of stones, actually Maxim told me to. His adwise was to go with what I felt was right for me. I found what I liked and I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for a great day Maxim, it has been a pleasure hanging out with you. I took home a good amount of new knowledge and will be a regular customer for many years to come. Your service, knifes and stones are :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also want to thank Nicklas for making this day possible, thanks N :D

Lucky. Maksim, do a seminar in NYC or SF. I promise you'd enjoy these cities :D

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm really jealous....I also wanted to partecipate to the seminar, but it wasn't possible :(
We can propose to Maxim to make a worldwide tour :lol2:

It was a great day, indeed, we got the greatest guests you can get, from Japan, US, Russia, Sweden and Denmark, so it was a international day :D

the seminar and Maxims knowledge is outstanding, and i want to say thanks to Maxim and his guests to make this day possible, there is a lot of great things to say, but Peco has wraped it in pretty good.

and thanks Peco for your kind word ;)

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Yes, all nice people ... was a pleasure! Now we just have to practise on our own N :D

Thank you guys !!!
I just came home from my trip with my guests. And need to clean up in my emails and what i have left from my seminar.

It was very cool to meet you all and it was really fun for me too !
We did not cover all what i wanted but still i hope it was a good start.

We got a super nice reception by Niclas, all of my guests was very very happy !!!
Great food, service and rooms. Big Thanks to Niclas and his team for very good experience in Danish Hotels !!!

:) im glad we could show you and your guests a good time, thank you for your kind words, i will bring the message to the team.

some more pictures:

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Very cool, looks like a good time by all! I have to learn stones some day...

as a chef and knifenut i can realy recommend a seminar like this, in our kitchen we are around 14-20 (students and extra included) in the staff, and for those who attenden to Maxim´s seminar it was a real eyeopener (me included).

the knives are sharp :) now. and i can see the special glare in some of their eyes :D the special glare that indicates a newborn knifenuts has been born.

but for must of us, it was the seminar and stones that made it realy special, like Peco said, to feel and try out J-nats as, abuse and feel them is realy rare for people like us in north europe, we dont normaly have this oportunity to see theese kind of "tools" in our stores. and the line covered all the prices.

luckily for me and those who wants, this was only the beginning, we are for sure doing more of theese "get togethers", and continue where we stopped.

cheers

Next time is in Herning if its posible for Niclas to bring his team :)

Back