Happy Valentines Day

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
On February 14, 1968, I left California on a MAC C-141 Starlifter on my way to Viet Nam where I stayed for 22 months. What a way to spend Valentines Day! I was supposed to have been married in March but Uncle Sam had other ideas. The Tet offensive changed things for a lot of people.

The last 44 years has flown by.

Thanks for your service, Dave. I entered the Army in October 1968 and also can't believe how fast time has passed.

Thank you for your service Dave and to all who served this country.

I went to Nam in Sept. '69. Most of me came back in Sept, 69. Short tour.

I was #63 in the 1970 lottery and I don't think they got past the 20's. Had friends in VN though and I thank those guys along with those serving now. But like David said, where did the last 40 years go? If the youngster could only understand how fast the time goes....

my dad was in the 101st and shipped out in '68. he died in 2006. a lot of Vietnam vets in the national cemeteries who died in their 50s and 60s.

I went to Nam in Sept. '69. Most of me came back in Sept, 69. Short tour.

I hesitate to ask and I will understand if you don't choose to reply, but what happened? I know several who didn't come back, two from my high school graduating class. And I know many who came back wounded or left parts over there.

AK round in right chest. Liquified the lung. Loaded magazine slowed the round down so it didn't blow my back out.

Spike: Happy that you're still with us. My brother and I were medics with the 1st Special Forces Group in the late 60's and lost a few very close friends. Don't know how we survived that period -- sad how every generation sends its youth to war - you think that we would learn the lesson by now. BTW, my uncle was a Pathfinder in 69-70 and was awarded the Silver Star three years ago...38 years to honor his efforts saving buddies on a very nasty night. I think that I'm going to buy a knife in his honor!!

Back