buying a vehicle...dmv?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
hey guys....i'm hoping for some advice.....i saw a bike i might be interested in looking at.....any advice on buying a used motorcycle?......they just sign over the title and thats it?......im nervous because i have never bought a used vehicle and don't know anyone witht hat kind of knowledge.....i am going to dmv tomorrow to just check it out and see what they can tell me.....i just don't know how helpful they will be......i am worried about him having a leon on it...or something crazy like it was in a wreck or something.....any help would be appreciated....alot....ryan

As far as soothing your mind that it hasn't been wrecked or flooded, take it to a good mechanic first. If someone's selling a bike you like, check it out, inspect it yourself, and then get your cash have him and you take it to a mechanic you trust and tell you what work it needs. All used vehicles need work of some kind--whether it's a tune up or a clutch. If a seller won't let me take a vehicle to a shop to check it out, I'm not buying it.

In my state, you have to pay the taxes on the transaction as though it was sold for the book value of the car, which the state kinda pulls out of their butt. It's really annoying. You can buy a car that's booked at 8k, you get it down to 5k, and the state taxes you as if you payed 10k.

Other than that, if you get the title and he signs it over, you have a few days to take it to the sub-courthouse and turn it in and then it's yours. If there is a lein on it, the state will reject it. If he is trying to screw you, or he was trying to pull something illegal and it cost you money, you can take the guy to a Justice of the Peace and make a your case in plain english in small claims court(that's a worst case scenario and really isn't that troublesome).

i am planning on bringing someone with me who is very knowledgable on bikes...he used to have a shop and race bikes professionally so if he don't know i dnt know who the hell will!....thanks for the advice eamon....ryan

Used from a dealer or individual? Depending on your state, it is often required to indicate whether it is a salvaged title. Otherwise a quick check from a mechanic should be able to confirm or deny any issues.

Other than that, pay the guy, sign the title, put on your helmet and take off into the sunset.

(If you have kids increase your life insurance policy)
(Decided to sell mine when I had kids)

I've bought and sold a few cars in my day and I work at a wholesale car auction. If you can get your hands on the VIN before about 11AM PST tomorrow I can run the VIN to check for any discrepancies in the history. This would tell me if there are any liens, title issues, thefts, flood damage, salvage, etc. And if it's a California vehicle I can run a DMV KRS report and make sure the registration is up to date and there are no back fees owed.

If you can get it send an email to muyautentico AT gmail DOT com with the VIN and I'll get the info. After that I might still be able to get it but I'll be out of town until Tuesday.

What are you looking at Ryan?

I'm looking at a sportster 1200......i know its bigger than some recommended for a first bike but i have access to a small and a large dirt bike to practice on as much as i want.....i plan on riding on them for some time before working up to the sportster.....i have my class scheduled for learning to ride too......the sportster seems like a great deal for what he wants so i feel the need to look at it asap....im hopefully join tomorrow morning to look at it with a friend who is knowledgable about bikes so i don't get a lemon.....ryan

Good luck and remember to enjoy the "ride". Also, you may want to consider joining AMA - they put out a monthly magazine that can help you keep your head in the game, not necessary, but I enjoy it.

thanks for the tip...ill look into it....never heard of it before......ryan

Back