Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad case of stinky knife

Bad case of stinky knife

Got a new knife--1084/15n20 damascus--and was going to let the patina develop naturally, but it STINKS. Thought I had some bad chicken last night, and it turns out it was the steel. So this morning it's getting treated with hot water, vinnegar, and mustard (with baking soda applied between) to force a patina and it still smells bad enough to knock a buzzard off a sh*t wagon. Please tell me it will get better! Or are there better things to neutralize the smell?

Yes, it will get better. Have no fear. Once a patina sets in you should have few issues.

Sounds like someone got a carbon Damascus blade! Where are the pictures?!

Yes, the smell will get better and eventually go away. It's odd though, I have a blade with similar composition and it never really smelled that bad.

One of the things that I usually try to do with new and reactive blades is set my cutting board by the sink so that I can frequently splash it with hot water and pull dry with a towel. Basically every time the knife leaves my hand it gets a quick rinse & wipe. This cuts way down on the smell and also seems to get the patina started faster. It's a bit tedious until you get used to it, but after 1 or 2 sessions blades are usually much less reactive and don't require the same fuss.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Other than a metallic smell, I can't say this has ever happened to me.
    Jason

Dr Naka recommends rinsing new knives with very very hot water to lessen their reactiveness and some forum members have said it works so maybe that's worth a try

I would suggest putting the blade in boiling water for a solid minute.

That's puzzling. I've used a fair number of carbon steel knives (even those that I've freshly ground as well as those made of cheap, dirty steel) and I have never noticed a significant stink from the reaction of carbon steel with meat as you describe. I would suggest also, wiping your blade more often and as everyone else said already, the stink should eventually go away completely.

apart from metallic smell, what could be the cause ot the smell? Sulphur in the steel?

Yup. That's usually it.

1084 can have trace amounts of sulfer in it.