Quantcast
Bad case of stinky knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad case of stinky knife

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Not usually. In general, all of the purification happens before the steel ever gets to a knifemaker.
    OOh.. I am under the wrong impression then.. i thought that during the forging and hammering process, imputiries would be removed.

so women shld stay away form high carbon knives becasue they have more sensitive olfactory sense?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    ...I call BS on the sulfur in steel story. I am amazed how the sulfur content of the onion, which is higher than that of the steel, is consistently. Ignored as the source of odor...
    Obviously, the reason the sulfur content in the onion is ignored is because the amount of stench produced given a particular onion varies among different blades. You can literally wipe the patina off of some blades with an onion.

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    ... during the forging and hammering process, imputiries would be removed...
    That's true. However, most knives aren't really forged much. These aren't samurai swords.

I think in 15n20 it is far more likely that the Nickel content is reacting with sulfur compounds than the 60 ppm or so of sulfur is being released from the steel.

-AJ

All carbon steel knives smell. May be more, may be less, but they smell.
    I stopped fighting it. Very few people feel the smell in the food, if none.

Lucretia, have you been sick lately? taking antihistamines or had a runny nose or dry nose. All of these things can make your receptors overly sensitive once you get better. Plus the whole super woman sense of smell thing.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I'd be interested to know how the reaction happens, both with sulfur and whatever is in the onion, and the sulfur in the onion with the nickel in the steel. Some knives give off a funny, metallic smell(my shig, my parent's sabs), and others give off a stench(my cck).

The number of competent chemists contributing to this thread is overwhelming.

BDL

Quote Originally Posted by boar_d_laze View Post
    The number of competent chemists contributing to this thread is overwhelming.

BDL
    LMAO!

-AJ

Have you tried Summers Eve for Damascus - when your knife has that 'not so fresh feeling'?