Quantcast
Why don't they make X knife? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't they make X knife?

That's looking much better... actually even when the fruit is a darkish brown, the rind part is usually whitish.

Durians MUST be ripe when eaten or the consistency is ruined. And a day after ripening, it starts to get watery in consistency. So, basically it reaches perfect eating conditions over the course of the day, is eaten, then any leftovers are sold for cheap the following day.

$45 for 2 is a premium grade fruit. We do have $1-2 per fruit ones that are pretty damn good, but it is really like a fine wine/cheese thing.

After a while, you pay far more for incrementally less. Maybe it is an acquired taste? But I'd put good money on the fact that everyone might be able to enjoy this fruit if they forced enough of it into their mouth.

I would like a honesuki-shaped sujihiki/gyuto in about a 240 length in white#2 (or semi-stainless) with western handle...

Basically I want it to start at a similar height as regular honesuki, but then gradually taper down and then drop down at the tip to meet the edge (like a long, narrow triangle). The edge will be flat with only a very, very subtle curve to it.

This would be used as my everyday go-to knife.

Yep. I have never found a paring knife, or BBQ knife to my liking. So I'm designing them, and I'm going to start making knives. Those are my first two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    After a while, you pay far more for incrementally less....
    Sounds familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    I would like a honesuki-shaped sujihiki/gyuto in about a 240 length in white#2 (or semi-stainless) with western handle...

Basically I want it to start at a similar height as regular honesuki, but then gradually taper down and then drop down at the tip to meet the edge (like a long, narrow triangle). The edge will be flat with only a very, very subtle curve to it.

That sounds pretty cool too, with enough heel height to chop, a nearly flat profile and a nice narrow tip... very appealing.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post

while this does sound very cool, dont you worry about the tip being too fragile... as i imagine it, the tip would be so tiny that i would worry about it a lot.

or are you talking about something like my butchihiki, but with less belly?

I love durian even though I have to open all the windows in my house , it's one of my favorite fruit. I usually open them with cck cleaver.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I often find knives I want, but just as often not at prices I want to pay... BTW, I had a similar knife made by Moritaka once - well, 225mm and blue steel. Nice, but too flat for me, I need a bit of belly. )

Stefan
    I have a similar knife too. 225mm kiritsuke gyutou blue steel. It's made by watanabe and I have a very nice custom handle on it. Very cool knife, I like it a lot and becoming my most used knife right now.

Quote Originally Posted by riverie View Post
    I have a similar knife too. 225mm kiritsuke gyutou blue steel. It's made by watanabe and I have a very nice custom handle on it. Very cool knife, I like it a lot and becoming my most used knife right now.

aaeehh - pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    dont you worry about the tip being too fragile... as i imagine it, the tip would be so tiny that i would worry about it a lot.
    When I said honesuki, I was referring to the shape of my Fujiwara FMK below. It has the 'drop tip' similar to the Kikuichi carbon elite sujis, and might be like your Butchiki too(I can't seem to visualize it), that would add stability and strength. Just used my honesuki as a petty the other day and enjoyed it, and I always like longer blades in general.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    aaeehh - pictures?
    Haha I know you always have a softspot for watanabe knives Stefan. They're great and reliable. I'm away until next week and using my android phone now, will post it next week at knife gallery here I think.

Rio

+ Reply to Thread