Quantcast
Why don't they make X knife?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't they make X knife?

Why don't they make X knife?

I was thinking that my ideal knife could be a 210 wa-handled, double-bevel kiritsuke, in solid white 2 steel. You could think of it as either a long nakiri with a pointy tip, or a gyuto with almost no belly. Could be a sweet knife...

So, has anyone else ever wanted a knife that can't be found? Maybe you could get a custom, but it's impossible to buy off the shelf.

I've wanted a perfect durian knife with gorgeous damascus and a lovely western handle... but I don't think anybody knows what a perfect durian knife might look like

Although a lengthy oyster knife might actually be it.

I often find knives I want, but just as often not at prices I want to pay... BTW, I had a similar knife made by Moritaka once - well, 225mm and blue steel. Nice, but too flat for me, I need a bit of belly. Oh, and if there is one knife in the world I would have absolutely no use for, it is a Durian knife (Was n't there a puking smiley somewhere?)

Stefan

I just had horrid horrid flash backs of my parents bringing home durian and the smell of it as they cut it apart.

You guys don't like durian? Where's the love? I can't get enough of that rotten papaya + onion taste

YUM !

You guys don't like durian? What's up with that?

Man, seriously Durian is like nature's perfect custard . Why don't you love it?

It forms into the consistency of rich creamy custard inside the fruit. And it smells so strongly it gets out of the double ziplock bags I use and permeates my whole fridge.

But I absolutely love it. Just bought 2 fruits, 1kg each, cost me $45 for the pair. Crazy expensive, but the taste can't be replicated.

I'm thinking an oyster shucking knife might be really great with that finger guard and the strong stubby blade to deal with the spines. Any feedback?

By the way steely, that photo looks wrong... the rind isn't supposed to be all brown like that.

You Paid $45 for 2 wow that's a little high is that fresh or frozen .
    you can stomp on it with a shoe and then peel back the shell or just use a cleaver it makes really good pancakes .

just like any fruit green to brown.
    where i get mine they are a lot greener.