Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why don't they make X knife?

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Yep. I have never found a paring knife, or BBQ knife to my liking. So I'm designing them, and I'm going to start making knives. Those are my first two.
    Umm...what's a BBQ knife? One of those horrible things with the long handle? I never pierce meat on the grill, so I can't imagine ever needing one. Shrug ;-) Oh wait....maybe you're talking about "real" BBQ, rather than grilling???

See, here in Texas Barbecue = Beef, specifically ribs and brisket. Flank steak is often done for fajitas, and some people like to do sausage or chicken quarters. But in Texas, if there's low, slow, outdoor heat--there's brisket and ribs.

I didn't mean a gimmick knife, but really I meant a knife that is great for cutting thin slices of large, delicate meats that are wrapped in a bark-like exterior, in less than optimal carving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    See, here in Texas Barbecue = Beef, specifically ribs and brisket. Flank steak is often done for fajitas, and some people like to do sausage or chicken quarters. But in Texas, if there's low, slow, outdoor heat--there's brisket and ribs.

I didn't mean a gimmick knife, but really I meant a knife that is great for cutting thin slices of large, delicate meats that are wrapped in a bark-like exterior, in less than optimal carving conditions.
    John, have you ever tried the old hickory butcher knives? I use them for my bbq needs they can slice brisket, chop pork butts, split ribs and cut through tips. I may not bbq like they do in Texas, but they have always suited me well, and they are dirt cheap.

They come in 7, 10, and 14 inch lenghts. I can't say enough about them.

No, I hadn't even heard of them until about 3 months ago. I'll certainly be checking them out, since they are so cheap. They are like CCK cleavers...at that price, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    I would like a honesuki-shaped sujihiki/gyuto in about a 240 length in white#2 (or semi-stainless) with western handle...

Basically I want it to start at a similar height as regular honesuki, but then gradually taper down and then drop down at the tip to meet the edge (like a long, narrow triangle). The edge will be flat with only a very, very subtle curve to it.

This would be used as my everyday go-to knife.
    Would you want it thick like a honesuki or thin like a sujihiki? If you want thin, you could probably get a 270mm suji and make the tip kensaki yourself...

~Tad

They should still make more whale knives.