Why don't they make X knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceconvoy

Reaction score
I was thinking that my ideal knife could be a 210 wa-handled, double-bevel kiritsuke, in solid white 2 steel. You could think of it as either a long nakiri with a pointy tip, or a gyuto with almost no belly. Could be a sweet knife...

So, has anyone else ever wanted a knife that can't be found? Maybe you could get a custom, but it's impossible to buy off the shelf.

I've wanted a perfect durian knife with gorgeous damascus and a lovely western handle... but I don't think anybody knows what a perfect durian knife might look like

Although a lengthy oyster knife might actually be it.

I often find knives I want, but just as often not at prices I want to pay... BTW, I had a similar knife made by Moritaka once - well, 225mm and blue steel. Nice, but too flat for me, I need a bit of belly. Oh, and if there is one knife in the world I would have absolutely no use for, it is a Durian knife :wink: (Was n't there a puking smiley somewhere?)

Stefan

I just had horrid horrid flash backs of my parents bringing home durian and the smell of it as they cut it apart. :puke:

You guys don't like durian? Where's the love? I can't get enough of that rotten papaya + onion taste :laugh:

Man, seriously Durian is like nature's perfect custard :jumpy:. Why don't you love it?

It forms into the consistency of rich creamy custard inside the fruit. And it smells so strongly it gets out of the double ziplock bags I use and permeates my whole fridge.

But I absolutely love it. Just bought 2 fruits, 1kg each, cost me $45 for the pair. Crazy expensive, but the taste can't be replicated.

I'm thinking an oyster shucking knife might be really great with that finger guard and the strong stubby blade to deal with the spines. Any feedback?

By the way steely, that photo looks wrong... the rind isn't supposed to be all brown like that.

You Paid $45 for 2 wow that's a little high is that fresh or frozen .
you can stomp on it with a shoe and then peel back the shell or just use a cleaver it makes really good pancakes .

just like any fruit green to brown.
where i get mine they are a lot greener.

That's looking much better... actually even when the fruit is a darkish brown, the rind part is usually whitish.

Durians MUST be ripe when eaten or the consistency is ruined. And a day after ripening, it starts to get watery in consistency. So, basically it reaches perfect eating conditions over the course of the day, is eaten, then any leftovers are sold for cheap the following day.

$45 for 2 is a premium grade fruit. We do have $1-2 per fruit ones that are pretty damn good, but it is really like a fine wine/cheese thing.

After a while, you pay far more for incrementally less. Maybe it is an acquired taste? But I'd put good money on the fact that everyone might be able to enjoy this fruit if they forced enough of it into their mouth. :razz:

I would like a honesuki-shaped sujihiki/gyuto in about a 240 length in white#2 (or semi-stainless) with western handle...

Basically I want it to start at a similar height as regular honesuki, but then gradually taper down and then drop down at the tip to meet the edge (like a long, narrow triangle). The edge will be flat with only a very, very subtle curve to it.

This would be used as my everyday go-to knife.

Yep. I have never found a paring knife, or BBQ knife to my liking. So I'm designing them, and I'm going to start making knives. Those are my first two.

After a while, you pay far more for incrementally less....

Sounds familiar :laugh:

I would like a honesuki-shaped sujihiki/gyuto in about a 240 length in white#2 (or semi-stainless) with western handle...

Basically I want it to start at a similar height as regular honesuki, but then gradually taper down and then drop down at the tip to meet the edge (like a long, narrow triangle). The edge will be flat with only a very, very subtle curve to it.

That sounds pretty cool too, with enough heel height to chop, a nearly flat profile and a nice narrow tip... very appealing.

while this does sound very cool, dont you worry about the tip being too fragile... as i imagine it, the tip would be so tiny that i would worry about it a lot.

or are you talking about something like my butchihiki, but with less belly?

I love durian even though I have to open all the windows in my house :), it's one of my favorite fruit. I usually open them with cck cleaver.

I often find knives I want, but just as often not at prices I want to pay... BTW, I had a similar knife made by Moritaka once - well, 225mm and blue steel. Nice, but too flat for me, I need a bit of belly. )

Stefan
I have a similar knife too. 225mm kiritsuke gyutou blue steel. It's made by watanabe and I have a very nice custom handle on it. Very cool knife, I like it a lot and becoming my most used knife right now.

I have a similar knife too. 225mm kiritsuke gyutou blue steel. It's made by watanabe and I have a very nice custom handle on it. Very cool knife, I like it a lot and becoming my most used knife right now.

aaeehh - pictures?

dont you worry about the tip being too fragile... as i imagine it, the tip would be so tiny that i would worry about it a lot.

When I said honesuki, I was referring to the shape of my Fujiwara FMK below. It has the 'drop tip' similar to the Kikuichi carbon elite sujis, and might be like your Butchiki too(I can't seem to visualize it), that would add stability and strength. Just used my honesuki as a petty the other day and enjoyed it, and I always like longer blades in general.
105w7iv.jpg

aaeehh - pictures?

Haha I know you always have a softspot for watanabe knives Stefan. They're great and reliable. I'm away until next week and using my android phone now, will post it next week at knife gallery here I think.

Rio

Yep. I have never found a paring knife, or BBQ knife to my liking. So I'm designing them, and I'm going to start making knives. Those are my first two.

Umm...what's a BBQ knife? One of those horrible things with the long handle? I never pierce meat on the grill, so I can't imagine ever needing one. Shrug ;-) Oh wait....maybe you're talking about "real" BBQ, rather than grilling???

See, here in Texas Barbecue = Beef, specifically ribs and brisket. Flank steak is often done for fajitas, and some people like to do sausage or chicken quarters. But in Texas, if there's low, slow, outdoor heat--there's brisket and ribs.

I didn't mean a gimmick knife, but really I meant a knife that is great for cutting thin slices of large, delicate meats that are wrapped in a bark-like exterior, in less than optimal carving conditions.

See, here in Texas Barbecue = Beef, specifically ribs and brisket. Flank steak is often done for fajitas, and some people like to do sausage or chicken quarters. But in Texas, if there's low, slow, outdoor heat--there's brisket and ribs.

I didn't mean a gimmick knife, but really I meant a knife that is great for cutting thin slices of large, delicate meats that are wrapped in a bark-like exterior, in less than optimal carving conditions.

John, have you ever tried the old hickory butcher knives? I use them for my bbq needs they can slice brisket, chop pork butts, split ribs and cut through tips. I may not bbq like they do in Texas, but they have always suited me well, and they are dirt cheap.

QN-714-small.jpg

They come in 7, 10, and 14 inch lenghts. I can't say enough about them.

No, I hadn't even heard of them until about 3 months ago. I'll certainly be checking them out, since they are so cheap. They are like CCK cleavers...at that price, why not?

Would you want it thick like a honesuki or thin like a sujihiki? If you want thin, you could probably get a 270mm suji and make the tip kensaki yourself...

~Tad

Back