• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FSOT: Coticule + Coticule Slurry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this a while back on another forum but can't sell it there due to their post count rules.
I used it twice but can't seem to get used to it for knives.

Here are the specs. This is not the natural slate but glued together type.

large: 4 7/8" x 1 5/8" small: 3 1/8" x 1 3/16"

Coticule about 9mm on large and on small from 6mm to 9mm. Grit approx 8000 and it works nicely. I tried it both times as a prepolisher before using 12k stone to finish.

for trade, I am looking for a 12" carbon steel fry pan (preferably seasoned), OXO tongs with silicone ends, and/or, Henckels pure silicone turner. Thanks:)

otherwise $80 shipped in USA and $85 outside (if you want tracking outside USA, it would be around $25 more for priority mail)

IMG_2243.jpg

I have to ask, did you get a de Buyer pan? They are incredible pieces!

When in doubt, go with tried and true.

i would honestly get the Lodge carbon steel pan over De Buyer or Paderno.

Say what? Ha
Why is that? I'm always up for being learned ;)

Say what? Ha
Why is that? I'm always up for being learned ;)

they are at least as well made, and they are made in the USA. the 12" Lodge is also only $41 on Amazon. that is a combo that is very hard to beat. i adore Lodge. the only cast iron i have that is better than my 1990s Lodge is my 1950s Lodge, and the only stuff better than that is my 1850s WC Davis and Co. the only Griswold i own is accessory (specialized stuff, for corn bread, etc), so i can't compare that. anyway, long story short, Lodge is awesome, buy Lodge.

The Lodge CRS12 is 12 gauge (2.65mm) steel.
The Paderno pans have shallow sides that steeply sloped like a sauce pan.
The de Buyer pans are 3mm thick with "Lyon" shaped gently sloped sides and a higher handle offset.
The de Buyer pans will outlast the others 4 to 1.

The de Buyer pans will outlast the others 4 to 1.

the de Buyer pans are certainly different from the Lodge pans (i don't prefer one to the other in terms of shape, personally), but unless you plan on panning for gold in a volcano, i sincerely doubt it.

the de Buyer pans are certainly different from the Lodge pans (i don't prefer one to the other in terms of shape, personally), but unless you plan on panning for gold in a volcano, i sincerely doubt it.
LOL!

Which de buyer though? there are like 4 models... and which one is better?

i have a mineral b 10. i think it's fairly high end in the line? i have the 12 inch Lodge steel. i like both a lot.

Which de buyer though? there are like 4 models... and which one is better?

The "Force Blue" and La Lyonnaise are vey thin. Neither are approved for oven or broiler.
The "Carbon Plus" and "Mineral B" are almost the same.
The Mineral B is their new line and they are gradually phasing out the "Carbon Plus" line.
Mineral B is the only line de Buyer approves for gas, electric, oven, and induction.

Yes. That is the one. Thicker and less prone to warping.
The products page you linked is outdated (even if it is the official de Buyer site).
Download the pdf catalog from that site to get all the info for each line.
All Mineral pans are now "Mineral B" pans. (Beeswax coating to prevent rust during shipping.)
You may have a hard time buying anything other than Mineral B pans unless you live in Paris. :)

I'm a Carbon Plus fan, but yes, the mineral line is nice :)
My favourite egg pan is my Force Bleu crêpe pan. It's used literally every day, in my house for everything from French Toast, to crêpes, to over easys.

We have the LeCreuset pans and I also use a vintage Wagner cast iron griddle for eggs. I have been increasing my cast iron pans over the last couple of years and my wife only has a few LeCreusets that are missing from her collection. While both are heavy they do not stick at all. I have been thinking about replacing a couple of teflon coated pans with debuyer or some thinner early 1900's CI. I would have to see the lodge carbon pans up close because their cast iron line is way too rough to season decently.

I would have to see the lodge carbon pans up close because their cast iron line is way too rough to season decently.

it depends on what you get. the classic line is now pretty rough, but the Signature line, from what i've seen, is still pretty well cast. i'm not in the market to buy any of their current CI, as i have lots of older pieces, but i would buy from the Signature line if i needed a new piece. regarding the steel, my Lodge steel pan is as well finished as my de Buyer (i stripped the factory seasoning and re-did it).

it depends on what you get. the classic line is now pretty rough, but the Signature line, from what i've seen, is still pretty well cast. i'm not in the market to buy any of their current CI, as i have lots of older pieces, but i would buy from the Signature line if i needed a new piece. regarding the steel, my Lodge steel pan is as well finished as my de Buyer (i stripped the factory seasoning and re-did it).

I haven't actually seen the Lodge signature line up close yet. I found their site a couple months ago and was looking at it online, but couldn't really tell how the finish was from the pictures. All I have seen is the general stuff and know a fair amount of people with it. I have been lucky enough to inheirit pans from my grandparents and great grandparents and have picked up more along the way.

I was actually just reading the other day someone recommended getting a carbon pan unseasoned if possible or stripping it down and redoing it. Probably the best way to go.

Sorry to interrupt the pan discussion. I received the stones today, well packaged and as advertised, in perfect condition. Thanks, ptolemy! :thumbsup:

Geez. Cut a guy a break! You're like 10 hrs ahead, dude!

The Signature line is still not nearly as smooth as an old Griswold.

Back