Knife Duffel Bag. Anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoublestack

Reaction score
So, I am a chef who hates knife rolls. I dont like how much time they take to access and how much space they occupy when unrolled. For me, they are a terrible design, given the value we put on space and immediecy in our profession, and I am getting fed up.

Since I use Sayas on all my knives, having them locked into slots is mostly uneccesary. What I want, here and now, is a cylinerical duffel style knife bag with one top zipper opening into seemingly one large compartment that is actually two - 3/4 of it for knives, 1/4 for tools. the compartments are separated by a partition, secured with snaps, maybe not... Maybe a misc small zippered pocket on the outside or in, i dont know...

Available online, the closest thing I can find are small tripod bags and flute case covers, and buying one of those just feels strange...

I have tried to find someone to do this for me for well over a year. The interest has been minimal and the price quotes I have gotten are outrageous. Is there anyone out there with skill set or ideas of where to seek. THanks in advance.

+1. Knife rolls are ridiculous. What we need are knife quivers.

I've been looking at those. I generally have two problems with them. 1. too short and 2. not enough compartments. While I don't need a slot for every knife, I also don't want a pile of knives and stuff to dig through. Some of the ones I've seen online are long enough and might have enough compartments but I can't tell how they are set up inside. I guess I could ask for more info or just put extra bags inside...
:angry2:

If y'all could get me some basic drawings w/ dimensions I will look at getting them done in leather. I have really great connections in the leather world and one of the best bag people lives just a few blocks from me.

Google the term HOCO KABAN. This is a vinyl/leather looking bag that I have seen in Japanesse knife shops. I believe they have very little in the way of comaprtments, but definitely the length you need for sujis and yanagis, which is often a problem with other small duffels. I have flirted witht idea of buying one of these for years because I am not a fan of most of the rolls on the market either, just never have.

When I have used something other than a paper grocery bag, I used a bike messenger bag. It worked great. I'd be careful though, you're edging pretty close into the European man's wallet territory.

always have to recommend the chefpak, i only take to work what i need for the day, especially if someone walks away with it I'm not losing everything... hold more than enough and is pretty convenient.

I have a couple of those, I do believe they were original aircraft mechanic tool bags for the military. I love them

There is also

THIS ONE:
organic2.jpg

Handmade in Japan and even organic!
Yours for a laughable $450.

i think he means more like global g666 wallet for his knives.

Thats what Im currently looking at

I don't think so I own one of them and they only have 3 slots for a large knife. Any knife over 8" wont fit either. The stitching between the knives are cut to easily by the knives. If you have any other knives than Global they have a hard time fitting right in the wallet, just because most handles are bigger than Global's

Back