Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: food release

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.

food release

What do you guys out there think is the biggest factor in good food release? what food do you expect to not release not matter the geometry?

I find that a convex grind gives me the best release, and then of couse a convex edge helps alot with a steeper/fatter convex on the edge being very important.

I think the most important factor is the convex blade rather than the edge itself. All my edges being more or less convex I didn't notice any difference. More or less convexity of the blade though may change a lot. Another factor is the blade's finish.

My experience is fairly limited compared to many on this forum, but the worst gyuto offenders I've tried to far were ground flat on the sides, and/ or had deeply etched damascus. The release issues with these knives really showed up for when when slicing onions, apples and garlic.

As far as foods I've come to never expect to be relased, garlic (minced) is by far at the top of my list. Adjusting technique has helped reduce it a bit, but I still need a lot of finger wipes on the two petty/ utilities I normally use for mincing. One is 52100 with some convex grind, and one is CPM154 with a higher-grit finish and less of a convex grind.

Pronounced lower blade convexivity. (If that's a word)

Also food will stick less if the blade is shorter than the product you're cutting. In other words you may have to use a different part of the blade for different foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Also food will stick less if the blade is shorter than the product you're cutting. In other words you may have to use a different part of the blade for different foods.
    This never occurred to me, but it makes sense. I want to see a video of you mincing garlic Salty. It's so sticky it drives me crazy, though I'm sure my poor technique is a big part of the problem. As a result, I generally rely on this, which I'm sure you professionals would never do.

Edit: I think I have seen Pepin just smash garlic with the back of his knife and then chop what's left up a tiny bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    This never occurred to me, but it makes sense. I want to see a video of you mincing garlic Salty. It's so sticky it drives me crazy, though I'm sure my poor technique is a big part of the problem. As a result, I generally rely on this, which I'm sure you professionals would never do.

Edit: I think I have seen Pepin just smash garlic with the back of his knife and then chop what's left up a tiny bit...
    i use the very tip of a gyuto for mincing garlic, and i find it to work pretty well. minced garlic is always going to stick, though, unless you teflon your knives. maybe even then.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post

Ditto same problem. Would be a good video. Sometimes I use my knives. Sometimes a sur la table garlic chopper my mom gave me. It's like a mini slap chop. I know I know.

hey, if it works for you, it works for you. i find myself using jarred minced and chopped garlic as much as fresh, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    hey, if it works for you, it works for you. i find myself using jarred minced and chopped garlic as much as fresh, these days.
    What would Bourdain say about us?

The Rosle press actually does work well...

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Actually My garlic chopper works pretty well. Unfortunately, it almost looks like those Shake a weights commercials. I guess I could have her do it for me