• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shun Classic 300mm Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-rat

Reaction score
This is my first sale on the forums so please ask any questions you feel you need to.

I am selling a used Shun Classic Yanagiba 300mm - $90 shipped.

I know its a Shun...meh? I bought this from Citizen Snips over a year ago. This knife has been barely used since then but before that slayed many a fish in Citizens hands.

It is the VG-10 version and not SG2. It is not especially difficult to sharpen but it is VG-10 if you know what I mean.

I am selling it because I never ever use it. Nothing is wrong with the knife. Citizen just resharpened it a couple of months ago.

I just hate sitting on a blade that gets no use. These sell new for close to $300. I am selling it for so little just to recoup what I paid for it. Citizen kindly let me purchase it from him for $80. So shipping costs are included in the price of the blade. IMG_0503.jpgIMG_0505.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0507.jpg

Sorry for the cruddy photos. I am no photographer and the lighting sucks today.

wow, i loved this knife for what seems like years. it had some great times and is a decent starter yanagi. there are obvious things that most people get turned off of such as vg-10 and shun but really i do think this is a great way to get used to how a yanagi cuts. it gets really sharp (sharper than ive ever gotten any other shun for sure) and because its vg, it holds its edge for quite some time. i think you are going to love this knife vince.

This was a nice story to read: an unglamorous but trusty and well loved knife finding a new home.
Also, good on you that you kept the "friend" pricing when passing it on.

I think that people often mistake the popular view that Shuns are priced higher than their competition / less popular options with the misconception that they are "not good. " I think that yanagi looks pretty darn cool. Is it solid vg10 or clad?

Yikes, I would have picked this up for a friend that only likes stainless! Enjoy it!

its solid vg10

i would add that this will be the third time this well used (and loved) knife will find a new home. i am happy i bought it, had it glued to my hand for a long time, sold it to my friend, and that he is selling it to someone else.

Vince -

Hope ya like it buddy. One night...when I was working my first kitchen job and was prep boy during service in the back I tried skinning about 150lbs of pork back fat with it...lets just say I was wearing 6 gloves on my left hand from cutting myself over and over again...sharp sucker and a good cutter...not soo good for skinning pork fatback though...just a little lesson I learned that night.

Is it a true single bevel? I have a set of small (solid vg10 pseudo-single bevel) knives that a friend bought off of Woot and then couldn't figure out what to do with. It is sharpened just like a double bevel knife where the left side is not sharpened flat.

This one was true single bevel. Concave inner face and uraoshi sharpened flat.

if you look at the picture taken of the back you can see where the sharpening took place. i was kinda surprised that it was made like a true single bevel myself when i sharpened it.

i have seen knives like that before. there is a little fish market in town and they sell knives from a company called "myland" and its a single bevel shell that has been sharpened like a german knife at the edge. good part is they are only like $15

Nice. Finding a stainless Yanagiba is one thing, but finding a Yanagiba with an integral bolster is something else! Say what you want about Shun(cause I will), that is a cool combo.

Great man! Glad the knife is in some meat and not my drawer.

Back