Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB Shun 3 1/2" paring knife

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Well, that is my opinion as well. I can still find one in the $50-60 dollar range, but I'm always up for a deal, and you never get anything if you don't ask? ;-)

i'd sell you mine if my fiancé wouldn't freak, as it is the knife-o'-my that she most uses. i think the 6 inch utility is the best knife in the Shun classic line, but the 3.5 parer is pretty good too.

Well, the shorter Shun knives don't have to put up with that....Too German, too much belly crap. ;-) But I want to thank you guys for telling me why you're NOT going to sell me your knives. LOL

that's exactly right. the shorter Shuns are also quite thin, and i think their balance is very handy.

PM sent, bikehunter.

Thanks to all who responded. I found my knife and was surprised there were so many replies. I think I responded to all those who sent a PM. If I missed someone, please accept my apology. Thanks again.

Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i'd sell you mine if my fiancé wouldn't freak, as it is the knife-o'-my that she most uses. i think the 6 inch utility is the best knife in the Shun classic line, but the 3.5 parer is pretty good too.
    I've heard good things about those shun parers. I'm not a hater at all, but I also agree with EdipisR's comment. These knives will become wife knives. My wife would freak if I let go the Miyabi birchwood parer. Even the babysitter likes to use it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Yeah, I like the short Shuns, the parers and the six inch utility. I bought both my daughters the so-called "Garden set" with the 3 1/2" veggie knife (the sheepsfoot with the straight edge) and these terrific little herb snips (for Xmas). They both have herb gardens 1/2 the size of the Amazon jungle, so I thought they deserved some dedicated shears. Naturally, I had to try out the paring knives and make sure they were up to snuff. A few strokes on a very fine stone and I almost cut off my thumb the first time I pushed one through a potato. ;-)

I have a 10" Shun Classic chef, bought used in good condition, at an irresistible price (35 bucks), but in this case I have to agree with the consensus on the long, sweeping tip, so I rarely reach for it, with 240 Kagayaki wa gyuto and Tojiro DP close at hand. It IS a top flight watermelon knife. <g>

Anyhow, I've been thinking about them ever since . Shuns have become outlandishly expensive on ebay these days, so thought I would give the Trading Posts a try. Ended up with the veggie knife, which seller says has been used about a dozen times, at a very fair price, so I'm quite pleased. The only negative is that I had to pass up a nifty little Misono 80mm moly, with a nifty little saya. Actually, I'm still thinking about it...everyone should have at least two parers, right? ;-)

Misono parer, eh? I've been after a "wife knife" for a while....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I've got one, not sure if it's 3.5 or not, but it also is an Alton's Angle issue. PM me if u are interested. Will send pics,etc when I get off work.